The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Breed Class vs. Open? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/breed-class-vs-open-75940/)

ButtInTheDirt 01-16-2011 01:54 PM

Breed Class vs. Open?

I'm pretty interested in Showmanship, and I've trained horses for some farms before they sold them to be showing horses. I've worked with all sorts of horses in this, but I need help on what I should enter.

I have a Ponies of the Americas (POA) gelding named Moe. He's overgrown, but a fine example of the breed nonetheless. I don't know whether I should enter him in a breed class, or go open. Am I even able to enter a horse that doesn't fit the standard into a breed class? I just need some advice on this as I've never actually shown a horse before.

~ButtInTheDirt

WickedNag 01-16-2011 07:43 PM

Just my thoughts. A breed or open show the horse is suppose to be upheld to the best of the breed standard.

raywonk 01-16-2011 09:25 PM

her is the best thing to do you have never shown before right. so you need to go to an opien show. they are less expencive and not as much pressure. this will also help you evalute your horse.

horseandshow 01-18-2011 11:19 PM

Definately start with open shows!

WilliesZipsation 01-19-2011 04:37 PM

I would definitely start with open shows! Thats what I did, and now this year we're going to start breed shows

horseandshow 01-25-2011 08:21 PM

Open shows are a great way to start.

If you are interested in seeing some patterns from horse shows, check out my site, there is even an online halter class to judge and place

phoenix heartbeat 02-21-2011 07:15 PM

for sure start in the open show circut. show there for a year or so then try a breed show. I would also suggest attending a couple breed shows so you can familiarize yourself on the way your particular breed is shown in halter (if your choosing to show in hang) and then train your horse accordingly. but for sure start in open shows. most open shows have breed specific in hand and under saddle classes so that could also be a less stressful way to try showing against other horses of your breed. I prefer open shows to breed shows. There is alot of drama and politics ive noticed in the 3 breeds that we do show at the breed shows. AQHA, Welsh and Arabian. I rarely do the Arab circut but we try to do at least 6 AQHA and Welsh shows a season to promote our horses and our breeding operation.