The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Considering a Mini (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/considering-mini-76017/)

ScharmLily 01-17-2011 10:31 AM

Considering a Mini

Well, right now I have two horses. One is a 25 yr old arab gelding, and the other is a 10 yr old arab mare. My problem is that my old guy is most likely not rideable anymore and the two of them are at my house. Unfortunately, my gelding is VERY attached to my mare, and he can not be left alone. He has always been like this, and at the age of 25 I do not think he is likely to change. I have a small ring, but mostly want to trail ride with my mare.....but being unable to leave my gelding alone, I am wondering what I can do come spring. I was thinking about maybe getting him a mini as a companion. I know that some mini enthusiasts are offended by this idea, but I would not be leaving this mini to rot in my paddock. I think it would be neat to teach it to do some obstacles or jumping in hand if it is young. Otherwise, I would rescue something older that just needs a good home for the rest of its days.

My question is, do minis make good companions for large horses, and about how much does it cost to keep a mini on a monthly basis? Anything else I should know about them? I have been told that they are escape artists, so I know I would have to put up some better fencing along the bottom of my fence line.

Thanks for your imput :-).

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 01-17-2011 04:52 PM

Well.....
I think that it really depends on the temperament of your Arabians whether or not it would be safe for a mini in the same paddock.

I have riding horses as well as miniatures, and I would never dream of putting them together. Not that my riding horses are mean at all, just way too frisky and ornery with each other, especially our Canadian....
I would just be horrified that some one would get hurt.

I do know people that do keep them together, and it has worked for them, so you just need to analyze your personal situation. :wink:

I am glad you mentioned you would not just strictly have a mini as a companion, unless it was a "mature" mini who is in need of a peaceful way to spend the last of it's years.
If you get a mini you still need to treat it as a horse. They get bored, they need exercise, a job, attention etc. as well.

You will need to feed them separately, more than likely.
Minis do not take much hay, and if you keep it in with the others to eat, it will likely get over weight fairly easily. Just some thing else to think about.

Financially they are a bit easier on the pocket book. They take less feed, less de-wormer, etc. But they still need feet trimmed and vaccinations cost the same....

I can't think of any thing else right off the top of my head.
You all ready addressed the fencing issue.

Let us know what you decide!
But, I am sure you have all ready heard, you must beware, minis are like potato chips, you can't have just one! :lol:

ScharmLily 01-18-2011 07:53 AM

Thanks for the reply :)

My horses are pretty calm personality wise, and they never really play rough other than some running around and threatening. My 25 yr old gelding is the alpha, but he mostly just pins his ears and pretends to bite when my younger mare gets too close to his food (and who could blame him, she's a vaccuum cleaner when it comes to food!).

I had not thought about the feeding issue, so it's good that you pointed it out. My two eat their grain separately, and are separated at night so that the older gelding gets his food (as I mentioned, he eats quite slower than my mare). Do you think it would still be an issue with the hay during the day? The only meal they really eat together is lunch hay.

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 01-18-2011 04:08 PM

You're welcome,
Sounds like your gelding would probably be good with a mini from what you said. Really also depends on the personality of the mini you get too.

The feed issue I guess you would have to play it by ear if you can't feed separate.
Minis "generally" are easy keepers. Mine all get just half a flake morning and evening, each. (a bit more when winter temps plummet)
They do not get any grain, just a good free choice mineral. If you prefer to supplement their hay, there are some good feeds out there designed specifically with minis in mind.
It is fairly common for people to let their minis get over weight which can lead to various problems, founder, etc.
I know it was really tough for me to adjust to feeding them what seems like such a small amount compared to what I am use to feeding my full size horses...

So, I guess that would just be some thing you would really have to keep an eye on, and then if need be, separate.
It is hard to judge a minis weight just by sight when they have their winter woolies, so you would certainly want to use a hands on approach. :wink:

Hope this info helps a little with making up your mind?