The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is he a true buckskin? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/he-true-buckskin-76021/)

Gizmo 01-17-2011 10:21 AM

Is he a true buckskin?

4 Attachment(s)
These are pictures of my Mustang that I sold back in October. When I first bought him the fall before he was very light but he got darker. He Has ever sign that he is a buckskin but other people tend to disagree. He does have a dorsal stripe but its faint and I don't know if I got any pictures of that.

Alwaysbehind 01-17-2011 10:36 AM

Looks bay to me, and his back looks to have counter shading.

HowClever 01-17-2011 10:38 AM

I would guess bay too.

Gizmo 01-17-2011 10:44 AM

Yeah, that is basically what he turned into, I think. I just didn't know that bays could have the white muzzles too. He is a mustangs and sometimes they have like their own color code, lol. He also has the color in his mane in tail. Mixed with white. You can't really tell in some of those pics because I had to pull his mane because he ripped a HUGE chunk out and it looked awful!

DunOverIt 01-17-2011 12:11 PM

He's a bay. Possibly the color people will have some fancy name for the oddness of his color ;) :p

But no, not a buckskin. At least not recognizable by color association specifics.

NdAppy 01-17-2011 12:20 PM

Looks like a sun faded bay. :-)

Gizmo 01-17-2011 02:02 PM

Yeah I figured he is more of a bay now. He was five in that picture and I bought him when he was four and that is when he was much lighter. I tried to find pictures of then but all of them were in the barn area which was dark so it wasn't a good example. I think he just got darker with age, he could possibly turn into a dark bay, but right now his coat is still very light. I sold him to someone close by so that I could still see him :)

Piaffe 01-17-2011 03:48 PM

I had a bay a lot like that! When I got her I was almost positive she was a buckskin...she very much looked buckskin...but...nope...she was a bay!

anshorsenut88 01-17-2011 04:19 PM

Humm that's interesting. My first impression was Bay...but he doesn't seem to have the red coloring that bays have because of agouti. My QH bay mare is similar to that color in summer...mainly due to sun bleaching though. She has a light muzzle too but its due to her having Mealy/Pangare. Too bad you couldn't get him color tested. ;)

Gizmo 01-17-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anshorsenut88 (Post 893072)
Humm that's interesting. My first impression was Bay...but he doesn't seem to have the red coloring that bays have because of agouti. My QH bay mare is similar to that color in summer...mainly due to sun bleaching though. She has a light muzzle too but its due to her having Mealy/Pangare. Too bad you couldn't get him color tested. ;)

Yeah I know. If I had kept him I was going to do a DNA test on him and stuff to see who is parents were if they had been captured or not and to see what color his parents were. I know he is from Utah, which I'm pretty sure the Kiger Mustangs run up there as well and they are buckskin.