The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   gaining confidence (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/gaining-confidence-76030/)

Horse Dreamer 01-17-2011 12:19 PM

gaining confidence

I have been taking riding lessons since October. My biggest riding issue is lack of confidence. I've had a couple of uncomfortable situations, most recently a mare we purchased decided to start rearing while on a trail ride. Thankfully the gentleman we bought her from was true to his word, took her back and brought out another little mare he had for us to try. I am much more comfortable with her. I am really tired of hearing "you need to be more confident." I know I need to be more confident, but I just don't know how to get there. Does anyone have any advise that might be helpful? Thank you.

ac0015 01-17-2011 12:24 PM

i gained a lot of confidence riding different horses. i think adapting to different quirks really helps. but honestly if youve been riding since october i think confidence is just something that develops over time too. itll come :) it took me quite awhile to gain confidence and i feel you should do so at your own pace. everyone's different. hope this helps somewhat :)

netty83 01-17-2011 12:28 PM

Hey horse dreamer, I also suffer lack of confidence while riding. Time and miles of riding will bring your confidence up is what i'm told. Have a look at some of my threads about confidence, there have been some great advice and comments about what to do and how to keep calm etc. I find it difficult to control my anxiousness and confidence once something has gone wrong for example if my horse spooks i anticipate another spook and it **** well happens. I think confidence is just one of those things that you have to work through slowly and definitely not ignore. Hit it face on and deal with what it is that is causing your confidence to suffer. I'm doing that at the moment and god it's hard sometimes i actually have a horrible time riding but i know it will pass and once I have got through it everything will be fun and exciting again. This low confidence issue won't last forever you will soon be back to having a great time. Check out my threads. good luck keep us posted!

Horse Dreamer 01-17-2011 12:36 PM

Thank you both. I'm a perfectionist and it's so hard for me not to be where I want to when I want to. I just want to confidently go out get my horse and ride, but then I sike myself out with all the what if's. I tell myself to shut it, but I never listen.

netty83 01-17-2011 12:42 PM

I'm abit like that too! All the way to my lesson i think i'm going to just get on and ride. Then when i'm on i start to worry about the what ifs. Don't ignore your fears if that is what they are as they will come back and bite you on the butt twice as hard. My instructor said the worst thing to do is bury it, face it and deal with it and it will make you a more confident and stronger rider. I know it doesn't feel like it will come good but it will. One day you willl think i'm going to get on a ride down the road to such and such and you will then when you get off you will be like how the heck did i do that (that's confidence). Hey get me think i should take my own advice haha :lol: