The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   why is he lame? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-he-lame-76048/)

blacksplash 01-17-2011 03:13 PM

why is he lame?

hi everyone im new to the forum and looking for opinions or ideas on lameness. i have a three yr old gelding, new to the yard, who has recently gone lame. a bit of backround info...
he was never worked before and started training 2 weeks ago.he was doing 15 mins in the ring, every second day.then he had 2 days off and was out in the field. i noticed he was a bit tender on a hind leg on the 3rd day and by the fourth day he was limping badly and holding the leg up.
i brought him in and called the vet. the vet couldnt seem to find the problem, and couldnt pinpoint where the pain was as this gelding hasnt been handled alot and kept pulling the leg away and it was hard to tell if it was because of pain or because of the lack of handling. he said it could be a hoof abscess or mabey he kicked himself in the shin. he gave him an anti-inflamitry and injections to fight infection and told me to countinue this treatment for 5 days and see if there is an improvement.
for the first 3 days there was no improvement, if anything it seemed to get worse, then the fourth day he was putting weight on it and today he was walking on it but its still sore. i picked his hooves and theres nothing stuck or wedged and it didnt bother him to have them picked.
im worried because i still have no idea why he went lame and worried that this could be a reacurring problem. any ideas? he looks like he is on the mend now, but how long do i leave him before we go back to work? a week? a month? 2 months? i have no idea because i dont know what caused it.
also i wanted to get him shod, if it was/is a hoof abscess is that a bad idea now? does anyone know more about hoof abscess's? implications? healing times?
any opinions/ideas on why he is lame welcome, this has me stumped..

RodeoGal 01-19-2011 01:51 AM

Since he hadn't been handled he could have kicked something and hurt himself? Do you have anything in the field maybe? I wouldn't wait any longer than 2 weeks. My horse used to act like she had a limp so she wouldn't have to work crazy as that sounds.

blacksplash 01-19-2011 06:00 AM

he was in a good field of grass on his own..he's alot better today, walking on it fine. still have no idea what caused it...one of lifes little mysteries i guess, just hope it doesnt happen again.

RodeoGal 01-19-2011 11:26 AM

Best wishes!