The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Dun or Buckskin? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/dun-buckskin-76097/)

Dressage10135 01-17-2011 10:44 PM

Dun or Buckskin?

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, the age old question :lol: I got a new horse a couple weeks ago and I always get the markings between duns and buckskins confused. So any help would be appreciated!

This is Peanut, he is a Belgian/TB cross (I'm not the one riding him in these pictures):

224 Kelsey Lindstrom on Southern Flyboy - Troutstreaming outdoor and sports media - photography by J. Andrew Towell

Those pictures are from the spring. And this one is from a couple weeks ago:

Poseidon 01-17-2011 11:14 PM

He's a dun. Duns have markings like a dorsal stripe, zebra barring on their legs, a sort of shading mark on their withers (this isn't as common as barring or a dorsal stripe. I've never seen it on a horse in person, only in pictures). And they're usually kind of a duller colour compared to a buckskin that has yellow tints to it. But he's sure a pretty boy and hugeeeee. :)

Buckskins don't have any of those markings. They have black points on their legs, but no barring and no dorsal stripe. My avatar is my mare, who is a buckskin.

ETA: I looked at the pictures again, and he has a bit of of the wither shadowing. (I'm not sure its actual name..)

NdAppy 01-17-2011 11:33 PM

Poseidon - Shoulder barring. :-) That is the term you are looking for. lol

Gizmo 01-17-2011 11:37 PM

Dun, but it is hard I know.

Poseidon 01-17-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 893642)
Poseidon - Shoulder barring. :-) That is the term you are looking for. lol

Thank you! I can never remember what it's called.

Dressage10135 01-17-2011 11:38 PM

Thank you all! His shoulder barring is a lot easier to see in person.

lilruffian 01-18-2011 12:02 AM

Well duns & buckskins are very similar. However to be a true dun, the horse has to carry the gene meaning one of the parents should have been a dun.
Though you can find the dorsal in buckskins, you don't typically see the leg or shoulder barring.
Very pretty horse btw!!

hflmusicislife 01-18-2011 10:13 AM

He looks like a dun to me. If it's important to you, you could always DNA test for Buckskin (it's $25) as it's possible he could be a Dunskin. He's very pretty :)

DunOverIt 01-18-2011 10:23 AM

He looks like a dunskin.

I can see the shoulder but also his neck is shadowed. And he appears to have a bit of a mask, too. All dun factors.

haviris 01-18-2011 01:35 PM

He's not buckskin, he looks like a dun, his dorsal stripe does not look like counter shading in those pics (other then they usually run through the tail), BUT are you sure of his breed? Because if I'm not mistaken neither of those breeds come in dun, and you have to have it to get it.
Posted via Mobile Device