The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bridle fit critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bridle-fit-critique-76140/)

kitten_Val 01-18-2011 10:33 AM

Bridle fit critique

1 Attachment(s)
Just wonder if I have to shorten a bridle. I DO think she has 2 wrinkles in the position posted, but frankly I'm not very positive, because I'm always confused what counts as a "wrinkle". :wink:

luvs2ride1979 01-18-2011 10:44 AM

I don't go by wrinkles. Every horse's mouth is different, so one horse may have a wrinkle or two, but another might not have any. I put my hands on each side of the horse's face, under the cheek pieces. I like to fit 4 fingers easily between the sides of the face and the bridle, parallel to the ground. I also look in the horse's mouth. The bit should be right in the middle of the toothless space, top and bottom.

Your throatlatch could be a hole or two tighter and your noseband a hole lower.

Saddlebag 01-18-2011 11:41 AM

Your loose ring snaffle is in a good position. I tell my students the horse will have a hint of a smile with a snaffle.

kitten_Val 01-18-2011 01:45 PM

Thank you, folks! I had it tighter, but loosen recently as I though it's too tight. I'll check the toothless space again (I did try it but she starts to chew like crazy so I wasn't able to tell really).

tinyliny 01-19-2011 12:33 AM

It looks ok to me. I might even lower the snaffle, but I would look at the bars to see if that was too low. Most people have the bit TOO high in the mouth .
Also, me personally, I keep the throatlatch loose enought to put those 4 fingers in. Again, most people have them too tight. Your's could go up a bit, I guess.

Make sure that the nose band is high enough to not interfere with the bit rings.
All in all, you did good!

kitten_Val 01-19-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 895188)
It looks ok to me. I might even lower the snaffle, but I would look at the bars to see if that was too low. Most people have the bit TOO high in the mouth .
Also, me personally, I keep the throatlatch loose enought to put those 4 fingers in. Again, most people have them too tight. Your's could go up a bit, I guess.

Make sure that the nose band is high enough to not interfere with the bit rings.
All in all, you did good!

Thank you, tiny!