The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   forelock and tail extensions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/forelock-tail-extensions-76168/)

Gidget 01-18-2011 02:02 PM

forelock and tail extensions

has anyone used these and has anyone commmented about it at a show?

I like the look but not sure if it would look fake or not

vivache 01-18-2011 02:11 PM

I find they often look fake, and are rather expensive if you aren't doing breed shows.

Though, in many Western and English disciplines, they're the norm. Only if you are gonna be showing at a mid-high level. No one at the fair shows I went to had one.

justjump 01-18-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gidget (Post 894356)
has anyone used these and has anyone commmented about it at a show?

I like the look but not sure if it would look fake or not

I know of a horse, who is a multiple AQHA and AQHYA world champion, and multiple congress champion, who's mane is completely roached. He uses a forelock extension, (his name is Harley D Zip, AQHA legend), so obviously it doesn't make that big of a difference:-P or at least, not in the AQHA world.:lol:

gypsygirl 01-18-2011 02:54 PM

I think they look fake and I really don't like them. At the same time a lot of people use and like them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidget 01-18-2011 03:00 PM

i found some forlock extentions but I think my horse would look like a doof with one and it would hide her bald face which I like.

I was more curious about the tail.I know they come in different lengths. I know they are obvious when horses have tail extensions in but I like the look of them.I would probably get a medium length if so. I found some and like them but not sure if it will actually match my horses tail. I wouldhave to get a mix.Of course this is down in the future.I was just wondering if it would look nice for halter.

BaliDoll 01-18-2011 03:03 PM

I used tail extensions in APHA shows when I was showing, for both Bali and Foxy. It made them both look a lot better, in my opinion. I have never used a forelock one, and personally I think that's a little overkill... HOWEVER, if ever a horse needed one it's Bali- he has a little puff of forelock and thats it hahaha he looks like a goober.:wink:

Also- I wanted to add, I always used black for Foxy who's tail was mainly white with some black in it, I just thought it made it look fuller... and Bali's was flaxen to bring out his natural little bit of flaxen he has mixed in with his typical reddish tail. I think it looks good to mix in a color in their tail you wish they had more of, that way it's not just all one giant solid color- if your horse has a mixed tail as you mentioned :)

Gidget 01-18-2011 03:18 PM

Thanks! So your horse,Bali...is it like Bailey or B-al-lee?
My paint has a puff for a forlock too...I think it's funny but I think it fits her.Ive seen worse forelocks out there.
Where did you buy yours? I will save up and buy one most likely.

Gidget 01-18-2011 03:19 PM

Oh and did yours come in all crinkled like wigs do that you get for halloween?

BaliDoll 01-18-2011 03:53 PM

:) it's ball-ee.. He's named after the island because my parents were on vacation there when he was born :)
I will have to ask my mom where she got the tails, I was a lucky youth rider at the time with my mom footing the bills ;) hahaha but I remember they came in long boxes and inside bags so that the hair wasnt crinkled up when they got to our place. And we stored them in special tail bags with hangers- my mom was super paranoid about them so I think they were pricey hahaha... They arent super important as others have said but they do look nice.
You could probably find some used ones on eBay or craigslist if you're buying it yourself, that's where I would look now that I am paying for my pony hobby myself lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Gidget 01-18-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaliDoll (Post 894520)
:) it's ball-ee.. He's named after the island because my parents were on vacation there when he was born :)
I will have to ask my mom where she got the tails, I was a lucky youth rider at the time with my mom footing the bills ;) hahaha but I remember they came in long boxes and inside bags so that the hair wasnt crinkled up when they got to our place. And we stored them in special tail bags with hangers- my mom was super paranoid about them so I think they were pricey hahaha... They arent super important as others have said but they do look nice.
You could probably find some used ones on eBay or craigslist if you're buying it yourself, that's where I would look now that I am paying for my pony hobby myself lol
Posted via Mobile Device

i didn't think about ebay!Thanks!