The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Information on how to teach a horse to collect (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/information-how-teach-horse-collect-76212/)

aspin231 01-18-2011 11:49 PM

Information on how to teach a horse to collect

I found this article online about teaching a horse to collect, and I wanted to share as the excercises seem to be do-able and effective.

How can I teach my horse to round and collect? | aprilreeveshorsetraining

I hope someone else finds this useful too!

Tymer 01-18-2011 11:55 PM

I was looking for an article like this earlier today! Thanks! (I haven't read it yet though.)

RedTree 01-19-2011 02:30 AM

I started reading, its very good thanks for posting :)
I have put it in my favourite so i can find it again

Carleen 01-19-2011 02:44 AM

Thank you so much for posting this, I guarantee I will be using it with Flash (especially the part about getting the horse to move out on his own). Haven't finished reading it, but am about to do so now!

Eolith 01-21-2011 01:37 AM

This isn't just about teaching to collect... it's practically how to start your horse from ride number one in order to achieve a soft and responsive ride. I was pleasantly surprised by this gem of information!

aspin231 01-21-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 897524)
This isn't just about teaching to collect... it's practically how to start your horse from ride number one in order to achieve a soft and responsive ride. I was pleasantly surprised by this gem of information!

I agree! When I read it, I was surprised that it was so in depth. Glad you thought so too!

JustDressageIt 01-21-2011 01:54 AM

I am speaking from a dressage/english perspective here. I see the article is western based, but there are certain training terms that transcend disciplines.
It seems to me that there is a disconnect between "slow with a headset" and "round and collected." They are not equal. A horse can go around slow with his head down or avoiding the bit, and evading by dropping behind the vertical as shown in most of those pictures throughout the article, and look "pretty" but be functionally strung out and not connected whatsoever tail to nose.
When I set out reading an article about roundness and collection, I am always disheartened when the author starts in about where the head should be right off the bat. Forget the head; it will fall into place when the horse starts to learn to use its back and body correctly. Also, you want to have the horse connected to your hands; you want to feel weight in the reins. You don't want to be supporting the horse's head, but you do want to have that connection, bit to hand. I know this is not possible in the western disciplines, but I get very disheartened when it's suggested to encourage your horse to drop behind the bit.

Eolith 01-21-2011 02:02 AM

Yes, reading further into the article I wasn't quite such a fan of the process of putting weight into the reins until the horse dropped its head back. That is a very artificial method. I agree that the horse's head will fall into place when everything else is being done well. It's so important to maintain "play" in the reins, at least with dressage. You don't want them loose and floppy, but not stiff and hard either.

The one rein stops and such were what I was most intrigued by, as well as encouraging your horse to keep a steady rhythmic pace.

addyjason 01-21-2011 03:51 AM

Thanks for sharing this very well written article. I learn many things from your post about how to teach horse.

faye 01-21-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 897535)
I am speaking from a dressage/english perspective here. I see the article is western based, but there are certain training terms that transcend disciplines.
It seems to me that there is a disconnect between "slow with a headset" and "round and collected." They are not equal. A horse can go around slow with his head down or avoiding the bit, and evading by dropping behind the vertical as shown in most of those pictures throughout the article, and look "pretty" but be functionally strung out and not connected whatsoever tail to nose.
When I set out reading an article about roundness and collection, I am always disheartened when the author starts in about where the head should be right off the bat. Forget the head; it will fall into place when the horse starts to learn to use its back and body correctly. Also, you want to have the horse connected to your hands; you want to feel weight in the reins. You don't want to be supporting the horse's head, but you do want to have that connection, bit to hand. I know this is not possible in the western disciplines, but I get very disheartened when it's suggested to encourage your horse to drop behind the bit.

I totaly agree!!!