The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle fitting problems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-fitting-problems-76217/)

GiveMeGrace 01-19-2011 01:29 AM

English saddle fitting problems

Hey guys, long story short, I have a saddle that I've just started using.
I cannot for the LIFE of me tell if it is hurting my horse.

Here are some new things I've noticed:
1-She will occasionally pull her head really low to the ground at a walk/trot.
2-When I actually get her trotting, she goes faster than normal
3 Her ears lay back- she will point them forward at moments, then they'll just resume the 'slanted backwards' position.
4- I got her cantering really well in the roundpen yesterday, she never usually is wiling to canter there.

Despite 4, days like today when I can hardly get her to trot (again, may be because of muddy arena) don't make me feel any better about the saddle fit. I just don't know.

I've heard mixed opinions about 1- is she stretching because the saddle fits, or is she stretching to avoid pressure?

It is so difficult to tell what problems are due to the crappy muddy arena (she is a baby), and what would be caused by saddle fit.

JustDressageIt 01-19-2011 01:34 AM

Very hard to tell from your description, but if you're concerned at all about saddle fit, your best bet is to get a professional saddle fitter out. Good luck :)

RedTree 01-19-2011 01:54 AM

theres a really good sticky in the this section.
Have a read of it, it helped me heaps when I was trying to get a saddle to fit Buzz.
If your still not sure, take photos, side on, front on, back on of the saddle on your horse.
Also after a workout is there a even sweat saddle mark on her back?
If so it means its good, if not means its not fitting right

luvs2ride1979 01-19-2011 09:09 AM

Take some pictures with and without your saddle pad, lightly cinched up, and post them here for us. We might be able to help you. But I agree, a professional fitting is best. Most aren't that expensive either, depending on how far the fitter has to travel.