The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Neck reining (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/neck-reining-76219/)

barebackkindagal 01-19-2011 02:13 AM

Neck reining

My friend has a haflinger pony who is green. Her daughter will be starting riding lessons in the spring and she had asked me work with her horse before then. I'm not exactly sure how to go about moving on from being green. We have been in him about 6 times and he's real easy but just needs work. I've been riding for 6 years but my horse knew all that. I just need some advise on moving on! Open to any suggestions! Thanks!

candandy49 01-19-2011 10:11 AM

The best thing for a green horse is lots of riding and many sweaty saddle blankets. To begin with ride him in a true loose ring snaffle bit using both hands on the reins. Plow rein or direct rein him to start with. When moving on to neck reining it can be confusing to the horse. If you study the physics of neck reining you can see that the horse's nose is tipped in the opposite direction of the neck rein. That is one reason the importance of using leg cues comes into play. Best Wishes for a successful experience. :D

barebackkindagal 01-19-2011 12:03 PM

Thank ya!
Posted via Mobile Device

barebackkindagal 01-20-2011 10:55 PM

Worked with the little greenie today

I went and work with him today! He's not as green as we were told.he was a rescue of starvation and the lady did everything not to give him up! Including lying abouy hid training so we wouldn't be intersted in him! He did great on his commands and was great under saddle....even a little neck rein! :) he's tends to get very excited and rear as feed is being brought in...any suggestions on how to calm that?

candandy49 01-21-2011 11:53 AM

The horse's rearing has got to be "nipped at the bud" before you or someone gets hurt by him. What you probably should do is carry a stock type whip that is at least 4 ft long with you at feeding time and when he rears use the whip on his legs below the knee while he is in the air. Do it and get it done before he comes back down. I know it sounds scary, but if you don't stand your ground with him he will only get worse and more dangerous.

barebackkindagal 01-21-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candandy49 (Post 897824)
The horse's rearing has got to be "nipped at the bud" before you or someone gets hurt by him. What you probably should do is carry a stock type whip that is at least 4 ft long with you at feeding time and when he rears use the whip on his legs below the knee while he is in the air. Do it and get it done before he comes back down. I know it sounds scary, but if you don't stand your ground with him he will only get worse and more dangerous.

Ok thanks! He has kicked my friends husband in the chest already! When I hit his legs do I hit front or back legs
Posted via Mobile Device

candandy49 01-21-2011 01:00 PM

You go for the front legs only below the knee when he rears. The kicking is different matter altogether. First you need to ask yourself if the risks involved are worth the effort to correct it. If your willing to accept the risk approach the horse calmly, quitely, slowly and deliberately avoiding the back legs. It may seem like a contradiction to suggest you carry a whip, but he elected to pick up a weapon, so to speak, you should do the same. You need to be ready to retaliate immediately when he kicks out. If he swings away and wheel into a kicking position, he is intitled to one welt from the whip. If after some time the horse seems to have lost his kicking habit you should still carry the whip and be ready if he reverts to his old habit.