The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Is she worth considering? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/she-worth-considering-76282/)

Piaffe 01-19-2011 04:54 PM

Is she worth considering?

4 Attachment(s)
I am thinking about buying this mare. She is Hanoverian,15 years. She is well broke I guess. I want her for low level dressage,fun shows,etc. And I would possibly consider breeding her once to a Hano stallion. She has had 5 foals no problem according to owner. I am definitely NOT a fan of chestnuts/sorrelsb,but I actually kind of like her. She definitely needs weight/muscles...these pics were taken in November and I am trying to get some recent ones. Anyways she sells 100% sound. Let me know what you think! It looks like she is standing a bit funky....anyways let me know if anything horrible pops out to you:D

kywalkinghorse2010 01-19-2011 05:08 PM

I don't know if it's just the first picture of her, but her back looks a little long and her neck looks like it ties in a little low, too. Other than that, she's a pretty mare and has a nice facial expression and looks like she'd be easy to work with.

Piaffe 01-19-2011 05:14 PM

Her back does look a bit long. I am not sure if it is just the way she is standing,but it does look a bit awkward. I hope I can get better pics. She has an intelligent and sweet look about her which is what caught my eye in the first place. I would love to go see her in person,but she is 7 hours away so I would probably just have her transported to me if I got her....sight unseen! :/

ShutUpJoe 01-19-2011 05:16 PM

They sure know how to pretty a horse up for pictures! I agree about her back and her neck but I think she's a pretty girl!

A knack for horses 01-19-2011 05:19 PM

I'm not a english horse person, but her withers look really weird to me. It could be her lack of muscling and/or the Hano breed. I'm also not a big fan of how her neck attaches to her body.As I said, I'm not an english horse person.

She is a beautiful horse otherwise.

Piaffe 01-19-2011 05:22 PM

Do you think muscling will help her neck? Or will it always likely look funny?

kywalkinghorse2010 01-19-2011 05:23 PM

She is a beautiful horse, as everyone else has stated. And, for what you were wanting to do with her, I think that she could possibly be fine with some very low level dressage. But, with her longer back and her awkward neck, it's gonna be harder for her to collect truly and get up underneath herself like some of the dressage maneuvers call for. But, if you're just wanting her for low level shows and just doing fun stuff together and possibly raising a foal from her, I don't see why you shouldn't snatch her up if her personality is right for you.

kywalkinghorse2010 01-19-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piaffe (Post 895954)
Do you think muscling will help her neck? Or will it always likely look funny?

With the way it ties in to her withers and shoulders, I don't think muscling will do much to improve it. You might want to ask for better pictures of her standing completely square, because it may just be those pictures making those things look gawky.

MudPaint 01-19-2011 08:04 PM

For what you're looking for and the right price, sure. I think she might need work on her carriage, to me she looks like she has too much muscling on the underside of her neck. This leads me to believe she carries it high/ resists the bit. I suspect she's a naturally high headed horse (not an entirely bad thing for dressage), but her forequarters don't match her hind end. She is long backed, but lower dressage is mostly working in a longer frame, so you should be ok. And she's probably a cute hunter.

I absolutely love.... LOVE .... her face. very feminine and inquisitive, the kind of face I want looking over a stall door at me.

HopalongCassidy 01-20-2011 10:22 AM

To me, i'm no expert, but to me her front end doesn't really match with her back end. I don't like her back at all, and that neck uck, Me i wouldn't buy her but my opinion no bitting my head off.