The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   When to geld him? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/when-geld-him-76312/)

musicalmarie1 01-19-2011 11:40 PM

When to geld him?

Just like the title says :-)

My Duncan will be a year old on March 31, and I need to start thinking about when to get him gelded.

For those of you who don't know (I know I see a lot of the same people here, which is great :wink: love you guys!), Duncan is the result of a pasture breeding at my mom's house. His dad is a very laid back, well mannered, easy to handle stud-- actually, I've seen him be totally uninterested in the girls. His mom is sweet, though a bit flighty. One of those kind of ponies that you have to go out with a bucket of grain to catch (especially if you're my mom who has no patience). Dad is fairly muscled, and his mom is all legs. I'd love to get mom's height (probably 11 hands) with his dad's build.

Duncan has been nothing but sweet and a pleasure to own since I won him over with scratches, but I don't want him to get that "stud" personality (especially since his only pasture mate right now is a mare and I want another gelding), but I also don't want to stunt his growth by gelding him to early. I've heard that their growth slows down or something after they're gelded. Any truth to that?

Any who, just wanted some opinions on a good age or time to get him gelded. K thanks!

wyominggrandma 01-19-2011 11:45 PM

Actually, they will grow in height more when gelded, will be leggier. The growth plates don't close as fast when gelded. Thats why alot of halter folks will geld very very early, they want them to be tall and slender built, not stocky and studdy looking.
It will also be easier to geld him when its colder so no flies.

trailhorserider 01-19-2011 11:50 PM

I gelded my colt at 5 months- as soon as the vet would agree to do it. It's only been a little over a month, but he is still growing like a weed. :lol:

The stunting their growth thing seems to be an old wives tale. Like Wyominggrandma said, everything I have read on the internet has suggested just the opposite- they will be a touch taller if anything.

Production Acres 01-20-2011 08:30 AM

It is substantially cheaper to geld one after both testicles have dropped. When the vet has to go "looking" for a testicle, it gets expensive.

musicalmarie1 01-20-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Production Acres (Post 896596)
It is substantially cheaper to geld one after both testicles have dropped. When the vet has to go "looking" for a testicle, it gets expensive.

Well, when the vet came out several months ago to do all his vaccinations (along with the 18 other ponies.. that was a fun day >_<), she said that only one testicle had dropped at that time. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for them to drop! hahaha :lol:

I was just worried about stunting his growth, so if the consensus is that it's an old wives tale, I'll get him done as soon as I can.

Jacksmama 01-20-2011 09:20 AM

Yep, do it now. Jack was gelded early and has ALWAYS been built like a tank. He will be 5 next month and just had another growth spurt(YAY I was really hoping he'd get a bit more height! He's at least an inch, inch and a half taller than a month ago). I agree that it's not true. He may not get the natural muscling that a stud does due to lack of testosterone, but that's it.

Super Nova 01-20-2011 12:28 PM

I like to geld around 6 to 9 months before they become hormonal......the younger you geld them usually the less complications there are.....especially under a year......as they get older there is more blood flow and everything get larger so complications happen more....it also gets more expensive because of that....at least where I live.

Super Nova

trailhorserider 01-20-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Production Acres (Post 896596)

I forgot to mention that because my colt was born with both testicles(or at least I saw them within the first week). A lady down the road from me who breeds Paints was quite impressed. She said she had never seen both testicles on such a young colt! But when I asked my vet about it, he said actually 1/2 the colts are born with them already down.

CharliGirl 01-20-2011 09:15 PM

My Scotch was gelded at 10 months old...he grew to be 15.3hh and 1200 pounds. I'm not sure how big his sire and dam were, but they couldn't have been much different from him size-wise.

Gelding can be a traumatic experience for a colt (or at least it was where I worked). The younger, the better!

candandy49 01-21-2011 01:22 PM

A colt can be gelded as early as the owner wants to have it done and the Vet agrees. As long, as already stated, as long as their testicles have both dropped/descended. We had my mare's first born gelded at 10 months. He is 1/2QH-1/2TB, here he is with me at 18 months old.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...Picture085.jpg

His build is more of the TB in him, but my mare also has TB in her fifth generation. He grew into a very nice body frame. He does have the downhill(rump higher than the withers) trait of his Mother being a QH.