The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Backing up? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/backing-up-76349/)

Sarahandlola 01-20-2011 12:55 PM

Backing up?

My horse will not back into stalls! I have had her for 4 months now and it takes like 3-4 people to back her into one! She is very ignorant about it. I have gotten her into one twice on my own. She then seems to just not want to go in. How do I make her remember it is not scary? And how can I make her doing it without her running into me while she tries to not go in? She pushes against me and there is no way I can stop her..

These are the stalls..

That picture was the first time I put her in and she went in a lot better than she does now. She is getting worse. I usually put her in the big one at the other end so I can put her in forward then turn her around.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...ane/010-15.jpg

Jacksmama 01-20-2011 12:58 PM

Does she back on the ground at all?

Sarahandlola 01-20-2011 01:06 PM

Yep she backs up anywhere else just fine. It must have something to do with a small space or something =/

satrider 01-20-2011 01:39 PM

I would be hesitant to back into that too. She is probably claustrophobic. In other words those panels on each side seem to be awfully close together. To me you'll just have to try it again and again to show her that nothing will hurt her. But I also think that stall is too small.

Barry Godden 01-20-2011 03:07 PM

Sarah
Are you saying your horse is kept in those 'stalls' overnight?

Is this common practice in your part of Ireland?

BG

Jacksmama 01-20-2011 04:23 PM

I agree with satrider, shes probably just nervous about the tight space. That IS awfully narrow. And are there any mats or anything? Looks like plain concrete...

Sarahandlola 01-20-2011 06:03 PM

The horses are just put in there to be tacked up. It is a riding school so they are put in, tacked up and taken out. Safer than leaving them tied up where kids are running around. That is why I have to get her used to going in there because I don't want her kicking anyone.

Barry Godden 01-20-2011 06:36 PM

Sarah,

I have never seen such a system in use before.
Nothing I have seen nor read would lead me to expose my Irish horse to it.

Someone has dreamed up a cure for a symptom and not found a answer to a problem - part of which must to be to keep loose kids away from horses - tied or loose. I'd look for another livery yard.

Sarahandlola 01-20-2011 06:45 PM

If you seen you would honestly think it was great. It is not just to protect the kids. It is to keep the horses safe. When tied up they can get loose etc. While they are in there they are safe and quiet.

I actually like it a lot and don't think there is anything wrong with it. A lot of people who see it love the idea.

Anyways I just want to know how to get Lola into them. Like I said she has done it before and stood there for hours very quietly. Then the next time I try to do it she will not budge. I sometimes have to put her into the small ones forward and then back her out. She backs out of them fine. She is being very awkward about it. There are other horses there who have only been introduced to them these past few weeks and they go into the fine. When she is being put in she does not look scared or anything. She just barges into me or throws her head in the air so she cannot be reached. She does the same when I try to put a bridle on her.

usandpets 01-20-2011 07:18 PM

Why do you need the horse to be in the stall backwards? Why can't she be in there forward and back out when you have her tacked up? We have similar stalls where we tack our horses up and groom them. There is a hay manger in the front, so they go in forward and back out. The difference with ours it that the sides are made of wood.

All horses are claustrophobic, but some can deal with it better than others. That stall is pretty open where I wouldn't see that being the reason, but it could be. You could set up something that is close together and see if she'll walk thru it and get used to walking in tight spots.

It's hard to tell how much room you have to work with outside those stalls, but you need to show her that the stall is a place of rest, making her want to be in there. If there is enough room, I would make her do a lot of backing, yielding the front and back ends, then bring her to the stall to rest. I do the same to teach them to load in a trailer. If there isn't enough room, see if you can set up a mock stall outside or in an arena to work her by it. Another way you could try is to back her up, starting away from the stall. Have her back up past the stall but not go in. If she does that lead her away. If she balks or refuses, keep working her until she does it calmly, then take her away. Take her back to the stall and have her back until one hoof is in then take her away. Just keep working to get one more step in and take her away. When she takes the step you are looking for, praise her before taking her away.