The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Saddle Fit Pics - Antares Spooner (Demo) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/saddle-fit-pics-antares-spooner-demo-76444/)

Zimpatico 01-21-2011 03:24 PM

Saddle Fit Pics - Antares Spooner (Demo)

5 Attachment(s)
So, I got a Spooner demo today! The fit in the back is a HUGE improvement over our current saddle, and by far the best one we've found so far. I've tried a butet, beval, antares hampton, toulouse, childeric, and an HDR. This is a demo, so the panels are broken in. The front of the panels (on either side of the withers) aren't making great contact, but I'm thinking this may be from too many test rides. He has great spine clearance, and there is no pinching in the shoulders. I haven't ridden in it yet (I went to the barn to check on him during my lunch hour), since he has a bit of a swollen leg. Looks like he got kicked in the pasture yesterday :(

Anyway, what does everything think? Opinions on the saddle and/or fit are greatly appreciated! My local shop has a new one coming in next week that is being set aside for me. Hopefully I can at least get on and walk around for a minute in this one this weekend. He's not lame, but a bit puffy in the lower cannon bone/ankle. That's a topic for another thread...

Zimpatico 01-21-2011 03:26 PM

The thread with pics of my current saddle is here for comparison...

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack...ns-lots-75700/

71Duster 01-21-2011 03:41 PM

I think it looks fantastic!! Ok so I might be a little bias!! :-)

Zimpatico 01-21-2011 03:43 PM

I don't completely trust your opinion... You're just happy we don't have to go custom ;)

71Duster 01-21-2011 03:46 PM

LOL!! Yes that is very true! I only have to get rid of one kidney, not both. But as long and you and Zee are happy :-)

equiniphile 01-21-2011 03:48 PM

It's a nice-looking saddle, that's for sure!! Would match my new bridle, too :lol:

I'm no saddle fit expert by any means, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like once he puts muscle on on his shoulder it might pinch him.

Zimpatico 01-21-2011 03:53 PM

Part of the problem that we have is that his left shoulder actually extends about an inch farther back than his right. I can easily slide my hand down both shoulders with no resistance. His shoulders and back are really asymmetrical. Right now, the only area left to build up is on either side of his withers, and a bit behind that. The massuse, chiro, trainer, and saddle fitter are fairly confident we won't see any more drastic changes in his shoulders or back at his age. If he builds up in the final spot we are seeing new muscle, it will actually provide some more support for the front of the saddle, giving it a slight lift in front, and actually giving the shoulder a bit more room. I hope that makes sense!

equiniphile 01-21-2011 04:00 PM

Interesting his back is assymetrical, I can see why it would be hard to find a saddle to fit! If he's not putting on much more muscle, I think it looks good :D

Zimpatico 01-21-2011 04:10 PM

Asymetrical and a flat back. Saddle fitting has NOT been fun! We went through every saddle at Rick's with wither tracings & back tracings and about 30 pitcures to find the best one off the rack. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one works...

equiniphile 01-21-2011 04:13 PM

Ouch! My aunt gave me her lovely Collegiate, so I lugged it back from Colorado as my carry-on item (yes, people were staring....lol), only to find it doesn't fit either of my TBs. I don't want to sell it because my aunt gave it to me and I'd feel bad, you know? If I sold it and my Pandur though, I could probably afford a nicer, FITTING saddle lol!