The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   huh, our balance issues are actually my balance issues? Ok I need help. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/huh-our-balance-issues-actually-my-76456/)

MudPaint 01-21-2011 07:23 PM

huh, our balance issues are actually my balance issues? Ok I need help.

I've suspected this in the past, mostly because I've noticed that my horses are usually better clock wise if they are horses I've trained from the ground up, but it appears my imbalance is at fault for our canter/turning issues to the left (counter clock wise). I had someone else ride Primo, that I have coached and know that she is severely left handed, interesting that she had less issues and achieved a much nicer canter through the turns.

I had a horse land on me way back when and have not been right since. I just recently started ballet up again and wow do I lack strength in my left leg. My dance instructor recommended spending more time on that side and lifting. Does anyone have any other ideas for restrengthening the leg? Anything I can do while riding? I'm a bit miffed that neither of my riding instructors have ever mentioned it.

MaryMary 01-21-2011 09:02 PM

Have you tried chiropractic? I don't enjoy going, but it's been helpful for me. I never go as many times as they want me too, but I am better than I was following a whiplash injury. If you have good health insurance, you might even consider looking into PT.

I also think some non horsey activities, like the ballet, are probably a really good idea.

MyBoyPuck 01-23-2011 07:27 PM

I have a much weaker leg too from an old injury. To strengthen it, I ride with just that leg out of it's stirrup. That way it's forced to work more than the other one.

MudPaint 01-24-2011 10:23 AM

I'm going to have to try it, and hope I don't topple off. Some one go get a camera, this should be comical.

MIEventer 01-24-2011 10:33 AM

I would definately look into you getting chiro work, for sure - and your horse. I have imbalance issues too, I for some reason lean to the right.

I had a saddler come out, and she put this funky "Playdough" pad on before I rode, and when we were done after she watched us in the indoor arena for some time, she took the pad off and it showed where all the pressure ends up. The left side was still pretty "normal" in shape, but the right side, all the "innerds" of the pad were smushed...intreaguing.

That would make sense why our corners and turns to the right, suck....

I love Sally Swift - she really helps with balance issues, and she really helps with keeping your aware of balance issues.

Also, exercises I do while I am in the saddle -

1) I take my feet out of my irons, and let them dangle on Nelson's sides. Then I lift them up - outward motion from Nelson's side, to away from his side *hope that makes sense*

I do a few reps of that.

2) While feet are out of irons....I take 1 leg and close my knee angle, until my foot is near my butt. I'd say, lift it up until you get to your horses hipish area. And then push it back, like a donkey kick.

I do a few reps of that as well.

3) While feet are in the irons. While at a halt. I sit as balanced as I can, without any pinching or gripping. I then reach forward to touch Nelson's ears/poll area...and make a concious effort of not allowing my legs or feet to move.

I then reach behind me, to touch Nelson's tail/butt and make a concious effort of not allowing my legs to move.

I have to think of others.....I'm drawing a blank right now......

MudPaint 01-24-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 901535)

3) While feet are in the irons. While at a halt. I sit as balanced as I can, without any pinching or gripping. I then reach forward to touch Nelson's ears/poll area...and make a concious effort of not allowing my legs or feet to move.

I then reach behind me, to touch Nelson's tail/butt and make a concious effort of not allowing my legs to move.

I have to think of others.....I'm drawing a blank right now......

I actually do this as a normal part of warming up. Though growing up, my trainer had us do it at the walk and trot.

I'd love to see that pad thing for me. Often if I have a visual, I can work on fixing things myself.

I <3 Sally Swift. I had the privilege of working with an upper level student of hers for a year. Her methods make sense and work for me.

Ok so I need it the weather to get out of the negatives so I can have a non teeth chattering ride and get something done.

horselover22 01-24-2011 12:11 PM

Horses usually go one way better then another; one side is stronger then the other. I think doing lots of flat work or some basic dressage will help your horse get stronger. Our trainers work with our horses to get them more balanced and stronger and more flexible.
I've gotten much stronger in my upper body and that's helped strengthen my lower body too. I have a personal trainer who focuses on core workouts and can tailor my workout to my sport so she's helped me with core strength, my knees and back, etc. I run in the spring/summer, do yoga and do cardio in the winter at the gym. It sounds like a lot but I vary my workouts to keep from plateauing (sp?) and from getting too bored. The results have been great though! I've lost weight and feel better then I have in a while. And I can use my body/weight/balance more when I'm riding and not rely on the reins very much any more. Luckily my horse i s compact and pretty well balanced.

faye 01-24-2011 02:12 PM

I highly reccomend going and seeing a chiropractor, osteopath or physio.

I know that I am lopsided but less so when I have seen the chiro. My lopsided ness is due main to a nasty fall from a horse