The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New horse... first week.. help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-horse-first-week-help-7648/)

Magic 04-07-2008 01:45 AM

New horse... first week.. help!

IF I get passion flower (who is a 6yr old hano mare) I would be bringing her home next week. I have had 4 horses before, but I dont remember a lot of what I did with them on their 1st week, plus I want to have this horse be my life-long dressage/jumping competition partner and I want to start off right! NO mistakes (well, obviously there will be many along the way, but I really wan to start out right). So any tips for the first week? When do I start training? When can i ride for the 1st time at the new barn? What should I do on her 1st day? Any tips for any, all or more of these topics would be SO AWESOME AND HELPFUL! Thanks!

horsestar8100 04-07-2008 03:41 AM

First and for most, has this mare been moved a lot (schooling shows, trail rides, etc)? Because if she hasn't it may take her awhile before she settles down and in. I'd give about a week and go from there. And until she is settled, don't ride. Instead groom and spend time with her. Let her know you are nice, kind and considerate of her needs. She will be much more pleasant to ride if she knows you, rather than you just jumping on her the second day.

jazzyrider 04-07-2008 04:53 AM

just help her settle as best you can. its usually a good idea to keep them away from the other horses for a few days if you can to give her a chance to settle in without worrying about the other horses.

its a good time to spend bonding and petting etc

with regards to when to ride her...whenever you feels she has settled in and is ready for some riding. go easy with her at first and see how she handles it all :)

Abby 04-07-2008 08:49 AM

We work with out horses the first day, we let them settle in their stalls for a few hours and then take them out do light riding and lunging and thats it. We spend a lot of time just grooming and fussing and getting to know the horse the first week the second we start our training schedules.

Dumas'_Grrrl 04-07-2008 09:18 AM

I'm not sure where you will be keeping your horse, I don't know a lot about stabled horses ours are kept in pasture. that being said, i kept the horses (they were previously together) in a corral for about a week just letting them get to know us letting them check us out. I bet we spent a few hours each day just sitting in the corral with them, putting halters on and off. leading them on walks on the back 80 acres etc. I don't believe we rode them untill we had them about 3 weeks. but we don't have an arena either. Just lots and lots of land. (2700+acres)

Vidaloco 04-07-2008 09:24 AM

We keep them quarantined for 2 weeks away from the other horses. If you get an immunization record from the previous owner thats great. If not get the vet out and have her done. Worming and all. I have done both let them settle in for week and jumped on them the next day. I think it depends on how she acts. if she is jumpy and unsure I would just do some bonding by hanging out with her. If she acts calm then I see no reason for not taking a turn on her.

.Delete. 04-07-2008 09:25 AM

You will always have mistakes. Its good to make them, you learn more :wink:

upnover 04-07-2008 09:26 AM

I'm with Abby. We get horses lightly working the first (or second day) even if it's mainly just walking around and exploring the new environment. If she's going to be a competition horse she needs to learn about going to a new place and getting down to business. If she's been shown she should be used to beinig hauled somewhere new and getting straight to work.

Magic 04-07-2008 01:02 PM

THANK YOU everyone!!! VERY helpful!

Oh and she has NOT been to a show, only once just to walk around. She also has only been out on the trail a couple times, but I have never actually ridden or have seen her on the trail.

I will probably let her settle for a week (or less, depending on how long it takes for her to settle in) and just bond and groom her and get her used to the property, and then I will start riding her :)

THANKS!!!

but keep posting, I need as much advice as I can get!!!

Scarlett 04-20-2009 01:23 PM

Great Question!

Actually, Magic - I appreciate this post. :-)

I will be moving two horses to my property (a small horse farm) next week. I was thinking the same thing - how to settle them in???

I plan to continue their current schedule of feeding, turnout etc. I will groom them A LOT and just spend time with them. I mean, really - I wouldn't want someone jumping on my back that I just met! :wink: LOL! I think it is a good idea to let them get to know you a bit first and if anything, just do groundwork the first week.

Thanks for asking my question for me!