The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   I'm going on a beach trail ride!=) (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/im-going-beach-trail-ride-%3D-76501/)

Shasta1981 01-22-2011 11:13 AM

I'm going on a beach trail ride!=)

Hi all

So I'm going on vacation to get out of this freezing cold here in Chicago. We are headed to the Caribbean and will be going on a beach trail ride and will be swimming with the horses! Yay! This is something that I have been wanting to cross off of my bucket list. So I was wondering if anyone on here rides on the beach often or has done it in the past? I plan on bringing my breeches and ariat all terrain half chaps but im nervous about my paddock boots being submersed in salt water. Should I just wear gym shoes?

Thanks!

mbender 01-22-2011 11:34 AM

Soooo jealous! What a wonderful time you will have! We want pics!!! Can't u wear water shoes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Shasta1981 01-22-2011 11:54 AM

Water shoes- I didn't even think of that! I will look into getting a pair. Thanks for the suggestion! I will make sure that I post pictures when we get back! =)

Skipsfirstspike 01-22-2011 12:17 PM

I went on a beach ride in Mexico. Wasn't planned beforehand, so was wearing beach clothes and watershoes, lol! But so was everyone else.
Was a spur of the moment thing, found this tour guide for hire in Mazatlan and you could choose 3 things to do. We chose scenic boat ride, snorkeling, and horse ride. Now this was a low end operation to be honest, and the ride was only 20 min, but was right on the beach, walking.
Afterwards we were talking to the guide, who's english was poor. We asked him if he ever rode. He misunderstood, thought we were asking him if we could ride again, and if he could come with us. So he said 'let's go'.
He brought us to the trail guide, and the 4 of us started out. The guide spoke no english, but I gestured toward the ocean, and he said 'vaminos!'.. 'Go ahead' . So I brought my horse into the Pacific ocean!! I tried to make him canter, apparantly they don't teach leg aids at this place, lol, because the guide came over and handed me his stick. I gently touched the horses' hind end, and she went into a beautiful canter in the ocean surf!
Amazing, that was one I could cross off the bucket list.
The funny part was when we got back to the cruise ship, other people were talking about how they paid $100 to ride on a ridge 300 feet from the ocean.
We paid $20 each for a run in the Pacific! All about being at the right place at the right time.

Shasta1981 01-23-2011 12:00 AM

Skips that sounds awesome! =) I've always wanted to go swimming in the ocean with a horse. Did you get any pictures!?

I'm particularly excited about the place i have found because the barn rescues horses and retrains them to be trail ponies! Everyone wins! I can't wait!!

Hidalgo13 01-23-2011 12:12 AM

Oh lucky lucky lucky! It's on my bucket list too. :P

winstonsgrl 01-23-2011 12:13 AM

Cool, have a great time!

cher40 01-23-2011 12:34 AM

Sounds wonderful. Have a blast!

lexypoohhorton 01-23-2011 12:58 AM

oh my gosh! sounds anazing! i might hide in you suitecase so i can come XD jk! :rofl: have fun... and i think water shoes or crocs are a good idea :D have an awesome time!

Shasta1981 01-23-2011 01:10 AM

Thanks guys! It's nice to have others who understand why im excited. ;)

I just ordered some water shoes. Im sure they will come into use in other places. Appreciate the suggestion!

Lexy you are more than welcome to hide in my suitcase. The more the merrier!!