The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   eye question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eye-question-76516/)

down2earth1928 01-22-2011 05:33 PM

eye question

I have a 10yr gelding that has a cloudy eye.Been vet checked and vision is good in it.It snowed last week and the cloudy eye is watering and mating up pretty bad.It is somewhat red around it but not bad.This is the first winter I have had him so not sure if it has happened before.any ideas on what it may be?

down2earth1928 01-22-2011 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic

blacksplash 01-22-2011 06:29 PM

wow, that looks bad. could be moonblindness (uveitis) in which case you would want to get it sorted asap as it will eventually cause blindness. symptoms include: clear discharge from the eye, discoulouration and clouding, redness around the eye.
i dont know much about moonblindness or its causes but i know its one of the most serious eye problems a horse can have, its common enough,and its very painful to the horse.
it also stays coming back and needs agressive treatment. i would get him straight to the vet. good luck, hope he's okay

down2earth1928 01-22-2011 07:28 PM

hes had the cloudy eye since he was a colt the watering just started a few days ago

Gizmo 01-22-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksplash (Post 899405)
wow, that looks bad. could be moonblindness (uveitis) in which case you would want to get it sorted asap as it will eventually cause blindness. symptoms include: clear discharge from the eye, discoulouration and clouding, redness around the eye.
i dont know much about moonblindness or its causes but i know its one of the most serious eye problems a horse can have, its common enough,and its very painful to the horse.
it also stays coming back and needs agressive treatment. i would get him straight to the vet. good luck, hope he's okay

I agree with the first thing, but if he has had the cloudy eye and you have already had it checked it may not me. He might have just got something in it. In that case take some saline solution and wash his eye out with it. Then make sure you wash his eye out. It should get better. If it isn't the next day then it could be something else in which that case I would call the vet. Is the nostril on that side running? He could have maybe ruptured a tear duct. But there could aslo be something on it you just can't get off and it will cause cataracts if you don't get it taken care of by a vet.

I don't agree that moon blindness is very painful all the time for every horse. Gizmo has had moon blindness in his one eye now for a long time and I have never had a problem with it. Sometimes when its very windy it will water a little and bother him, but I put one scoop of asprin in his feed and it clears right up. There are plenty of cases where they are just like Gizmo but there are times when it is painful for them and they have to get the eye removed. It really depends on the condition of the eye.

Oh and I forgot, if you have any AniPrin asprin or something like that, you might want to try that as well. It could just be the wind or cold weather bothering it. I think cloudy eyes (or glass eyes) get very dry in this kind of weather.

OneFastHorse 01-22-2011 08:00 PM

He may have hit it on something. I would def have the vet out. Eyes are nothing to mess around with.

down2earth1928 01-22-2011 08:06 PM

yea i was thinking maybe something in it.It started doing it the morning after it snowed so was thinking it may just be from the snow and cloudy eye.just wasnt sure,never had one with a cloudy eye and being it just so happen to be the cloudy eye i wanted to see what yall think.

boodles2312 01-22-2011 08:34 PM

eye

if it doesnt clear up in the next 12 -24 hours cal vet, may need special anti bacterial cream. bless him

down2earth1928 01-23-2011 12:18 PM

he doesnt have a runny nose or anything else to seem to have any other problems.He seems to feel fine just the one watering eye