The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   neck reining (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/neck-reining-76531/)

islandponi 01-22-2011 07:30 PM

neck reining

How do I teach my horse to neck rein?

myhorsesonador 01-22-2011 07:39 PM

He is a good video.

HorsesMakeLifeBetter 01-22-2011 07:40 PM

Most horses that neck rein are using a bit and not a snaffle. I think a bit with loose cheeks works best. Most my horses are good at moving off my leg pressure, so I start by laying the rein across their neck not pulling so hard to tip their nose out, but just enough to let them know you are doing something, and then apply leg pressure on that same side. If you do it consistently they should get so all you have to do is the rein pressure and they move away from that.

myhorsesonador 01-22-2011 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=HorsesMakeLifeBetter;899547]Most horses that neck rein are using a bit and not a snaffle. I think a bit with loose cheeks works best. QUOTE]

A snaffle is a bit.:lol:

islandponi 01-22-2011 07:44 PM

Thanks a bunch for the tips!

HorsesMakeLifeBetter 01-22-2011 07:49 PM

[quote=myhorsesonador;899550]
Quote:

Originally Posted by HorsesMakeLifeBetter (Post 899547)
Most horses that neck rein are using a bit and not a snaffle. I think a bit with loose cheeks works best. QUOTE]

A snaffle is a bit.:lol:

Thank you for the quip...I was meaning a shank bit rather than a snaffle bit. Most western horses that are moving from basic training to becoming a finished horse are using a shank/curb type bit instead of a direct rein snaffle bit. Most people are not typically neck reining a horse in a snaffle bit, most people that want a one handed neck reining horse are using a shank/curb type bit. That was the distinction I was trying to make in fewer words.

PaintHorseMares 01-23-2011 06:45 AM

[quote=HorsesMakeLifeBetter;899560]
Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 899550)
Most western horses that are moving from basic training to becoming a finished horse are using a shank/curb type bit instead of a direct rein snaffle bit. Most people are not typically neck reining a horse in a snaffle bit, most people that want a one handed neck reining horse are using a shank/curb type bit.

Although it is common for folks to move up from a snaffle to a shank bit in western training, it really doesn't matter with respect to neck reining. Direct rein and seat/leg are used while teaching neck reining, but an experienced horse will turn to 'stay between the reins' without any other cues at all. All our mares neck rein and the two younger ones have never been ridden in anything other than snaffles.

lolayla 01-27-2011 02:56 PM

personally, i think that a horse needs to be consistent neck reining in a snaffle before moving to a shanked bit

morabhobbyhorse 04-20-2011 02:11 PM

I would definitely use a snaffle to train, maybe a full cheek one. Of course I just don't like curbs, a personal preference. My hands are too rough and I want Sienna to be forgiving when it's me that makes the mistake.