The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   How are shows arranged? Confused.. (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/how-shows-arranged-confused-76548/)

victorialicious7 01-22-2011 09:49 PM

How are shows arranged? Confused..

Hi everyone. Ok so I hate to say this, but I have been around horses and reading about them for about 8- almost 9 years and I never understood how shows were classified. Esp. Recently, when I look at horses for sale, I always see that some with records have shown in this or that but it never has any affect on me and how it affects the horse at all! For example, there was a SUPER nice horse that I would have killed to buy for a great price, just was a little too strong, and he jumped up to level 6. I actually googled it that time and knew that it went up to 4'9. My question is how do shows for jumpers work (since if I ever get a horse, I'll be competing in jumpers.. just not a dressage/hunter person AT ALL and western is just for fun for me)? I always read childrens, pre-childrens, and just a whole bunch of confusing stuff.. help?? :) OH, and how do you know what you should be showing in?

ErikaLynn 01-24-2011 12:08 PM

This tells you everything you need to know

Show jumping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus when you start doing jumpers your trainer will help you with everything

victorialicious7 01-24-2011 01:30 PM

I currently don't have a trainer, and I don't think I will once I get a horse. My mom was a rider for many many years in europe so she would be training me, but like I said, she grew up in Europe so its way different.

Thank you for the website, I will check it out! :)

ErikaLynn 01-24-2011 01:34 PM

Actually jumpers is international..so they will have most of the same rules as they do in the US.

victorialicious7 01-24-2011 01:36 PM

I actually dont think my mom necessarily showed a lot, actually. She did a lot of training, really, so I don't know how much of a help she would be :P But I'll talk to her about it!

Alcatrazjmpr 01-28-2011 02:36 PM

If your mom showed in Europe I would read the rules for the USEF shows, you can find most of the rules online. Level 6 is 4'3, btw, I know they started changing things in the last few years so that younger horses and riders could show at bigger shows. Childrens is a rated division, for jumpers, eq and hunters. Pre-childrens is an unrated division. As for what you should start showing in, show in a height that you are comfortable jumping in, or a few inches lower to get comfortable at shows. Here is an example of a prize list,http://www.palermoshowstable.com/Pal...wJan2011PL.pdf.
USEF.org, this will tell you all the rated divisions and the rules for hunters, eq, and jumpers and the rules for the rated divisions in the rule book.

LittleLoucifer 01-30-2011 01:08 PM

Show programs will normally give you a description of the divisions offered. For example, Childrens Hunters is 3', pre-Childs is either 2'6" or 2'9" (can not remember), and they will describe which divisions you may cross over to (such as if you entered 3', you can move down to pre-childrens or up to modified juniors, which is 3'3", but you can not cross over further up or down than that).

The jumper levels will be listed to, though I had heard the states might start using meters eventually. Much more simple I think :-)

victorialicious7 01-30-2011 01:27 PM

thank you! so basically, if you jump at one level, you go to the next if you feel comfortable to start there? I just pretty much dont know how the ordering of it goes, like where it starts to where it ends. and yeah, I live in the US but my family is more familiar with kilometers and whatnot, so i'm considering teaching myself the difference since my schools, well, arent doing that.

Alcatrazjmpr 01-31-2011 11:58 AM

You don't have to start at any level, you can start wherever ou want. To show at any rated show both you, your horse, and your trainer/coach must be registers with usef. As for moving up and down divisions, you can do different unrated jumper divisions at the same show. So you could do the level 1-4 if you want. But if you do a rated division such as the childrens jumpers you can't show in anything higher at the same show. You can go higher at another show if you don't do that division. Some of the hunter and eq divisions have more rules, even the unrated ones. Always read the prize list and make sure you know used and that shows rules. Schooling shows can make up thie own rules and classes.
Posted via Mobile Device

victorialicious7 01-31-2011 03:09 PM

I dont understand.. whats the difference between rated/unrated? And how are all of use supposed to be registered with usef/how long does it take? Also, what if I don't have an official trainer? I mean, I highly doubt i will have a trainer other than my mom so is that going to affect if she can register or not??