The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Tall boots, can't find ones that fit! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/tall-boots-cant-find-ones-fit-76562/)

Rachel1786 01-23-2011 12:42 AM

Tall boots, can't find ones that fit!

I went to the horseloverz tack store today hoping to buy a pair of tall boots and after trying on about 7 pairs i could not find any that fit, i'm so frustrated, i wear an 8-8.5, so that was fine, but it seemed like every boot i tried on was too loose in the ankle and would bunch up when i tried to point my toes, or they were too tight in the calf and i couldn't zip them without pinching, or then if they fit that way, they came up too high and i couldn't bend my knee...i ended up buying a pair of paddock boots and half chaps, does anyone have any suggestions for tall boots because in the future i would still like to get them

Shasta1981 01-23-2011 09:54 AM

I usually find that my boots stretch out around the calves after a few rides so i like to have them a little tight in that area when Im trying them on. I buy half chaps tight too. The ones I just bought recently were kind of tough to zip at first but now they fit like a glove! You don't want them tight in the ankle so that you can keep your heels down without a problem. I wouldn't want them to be slouchy though so I'm not sure how loose we are talking about. What brands were you trying? Was some one at the tack store helping you? I like ariat if you can swing the expense.

MissH 01-23-2011 01:25 PM

Rachel, measure your calf. Follow this: http://www.nittanyimports.com/measure.png

Let me know what the size is. My foot is a size 8 and I've just been through a whole "tall boot ordeal". I can probably help for sure.

MissH 01-23-2011 01:25 PM

And what discipline are we talking here?
http://www.horseforum.com/data:image...AASUVORK5CYII=

ErikaLynn 01-24-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 899940)
I went to the horseloverz tack store today hoping to buy a pair of tall boots and after trying on about 7 pairs i could not find any that fit, i'm so frustrated, i wear an 8-8.5, so that was fine, but it seemed like every boot i tried on was too loose in the ankle and would bunch up when i tried to point my toes, or they were too tight in the calf and i couldn't zip them without pinching, or then if they fit that way, they came up too high and i couldn't bend my knee...i ended up buying a pair of paddock boots and half chaps, does anyone have any suggestions for tall boots because in the future i would still like to get them

That's how brand new tall boots are supposed to fit until you break them in. They're supposed to be tight and too tall...once they are broken in they fall down, bunch/fold around the ankles and stretch around the calf.

Zimpatico 01-24-2011 12:15 PM

I have an extremely difficult time finding boots. I have a small foot and can't find any shoe size with calf sizes that fit me. Measure up the back of your calf, around the ankle, and around the calf, then start searching different brands. I ended up with a brand of boot that I would have never considered, but they fit me like a glove!

Rachel1786 01-24-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissH (Post 900438)
Rachel, measure your calf. Follow this: http://www.nittanyimports.com/measure.png

Let me know what the size is. My foot is a size 8 and I've just been through a whole "tall boot ordeal". I can probably help for sure.

it's 15" around the top
14.5 around the calf
16.5 tall

and my ankles are 9", even tho i know you didn't ask lol

Oh and the boots that i tried on were so tight that i couldn't even get the zipper all the way up, or were so bulky around the ankle it was bunching or so tall that i couldn't bend my knee at all without it pinching terribly

Rachel1786 01-24-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissH (Post 900439)
And what discipline are we talking here?
http://www.horseforum.com/data:image...AASUVORK5CYII=

right now i'm just taking basic english lessons, but i'm going to be doing dressage once i get my confidence back a bit, i don't know if i'm going to be showing or now, but if i do it won't be until at least next year

Rachel1786 01-24-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shasta1981 (Post 900165)
I usually find that my boots stretch out around the calves after a few rides so i like to have them a little tight in that area when Im trying them on. I buy half chaps tight too. The ones I just bought recently were kind of tough to zip at first but now they fit like a glove! You don't want them tight in the ankle so that you can keep your heels down without a problem. I wouldn't want them to be slouchy though so I'm not sure how loose we are talking about. What brands were you trying? Was some one at the tack store helping you? I like ariat if you can swing the expense.

I tried on a bunch of different brands, a few of them were ariat, i ended up getting ariat paddock boots, i can't afford to get tall boots now, but hoping next year to get a pair of tall boots

MissH 01-24-2011 08:19 PM

This is what I ended up ordering: Classic Dress High Rider II - Mountian Horse - Women - Mountian Horse Tall Boots, Dress, Field, Sportive, All Terrain

I swear by Mountain Horse boots, and although I haven't tried these they are the exact same measurements as the winter stella polaris I ordered from them so I'm psyched to get them.

As some of the other posters said, the reason tall dressage boots (specifically because they are stiffer) are such a pain in the butt to break in is because they are supposed to be so tall at first. When the ankle breaks they will drop and then be the appropriate height. This is a painful process and not for the weak at heart - but will make for the proper fitting boot height wise in the end.