The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Falling off and confidence

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Puddintat 
#1 ·
I fell off today. I broke my arm. It really sucks.

After falling off a few years ago I got out of horses and I have recently got back into them. I competed a couple of weeks ago on someone elses horse and I came off (girth was too loose and saddle just slipped of this perfectly round horse) but I got back on knowing the horse was nice and quiet. The fall made me think hard about riding and I decided to return my 3 year old to get a quieter, more trained horse.

I was offered to ride this horse where I have my horse. She's 8, was out of work for a long time but has been ridden regularly for the past few months. Bit nervous of people but hadn't put a foot wrong, and meant to be quiet. The owner got on before me and rode her, then I went to get on, I did everything by the book. Swung a leg over and just rested in the saddle and she took off bucking, I came off and she bolted.

I've ridden for years but haven't in the last few. I'm not the greatest rider but I am decent enough, just been out of it for a while. I don't know if i should keep riding. My arm is broken and i'm 20, never broken a bone but i don't want to be hurt. I want a quiet horse but even then...I don't know. What should i do? Should i quit?

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't give up! get back on a horse ASAP even if you are just being led round.

At 20 you still bounce well. I'm willing to bet that you don't fall often and thus when you have you instinctivly put your arm out to brake your fall hence the broken wrist!

When you are better perhaps you can find a martial arts class where they can teach you to fall properly and not injure yourself.

Personaly i've been bounncing off the floor on a regular basis since I was 5 years old and started riding off the leadrein! I don't stick armss out any longer. Mum took me to a martial arts class when I was 8 years old and they taught me to fall and roll correctly and end up back on my feet! very very helpful!

#3 ·
I'm very sorry you broke the hand! :( The good thing though you are JUST 20 so it'll heal back in no time.

If you love horses and don't feel like giving up (just a confidence issue) get a very quiet horse and ride it for while (or may be ride a quiet one forever if you won't feel comfortable trying the firecracker).

Frankly after riding my mares for quite a while I feel very awkward getting on other horses (even though yes, I know, it's good for the experience etc.). While I don't mind it at the lesson (when I trust the trainer that it's a horse without major issues like bucking, rearing or bolting) I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable getting on someone else horse "just to try".

#4 ·
You know what my trainer used to tell me !!???

"Your not a good rider unless you fall off"

which is basically true i think if you dont ride hard enough and your not scared of your horse you wont come off... ive fallen off my horse prob over 50 times but every time he bucks me off ect.. i always get back on right away even if im a little hurt that way he doesnt think next time he can do it again

When i was riding in cyrpus my trainer taught me HOW to fall off we spent a day just falling off our horses. It was actually fun So now when i fall off it doesnt hurt AS much

#5 ·
You can get someone to lunge you until you feel safe enough to get back on your own. You shouldn't stop just because of this bad fall, it happens to the best of us!

Don't forget that you should never do something you feel uncomfortable doing, it's the best way to get hurt...

Good Luck :)

#7 ·
At the end of the day it's your choice. If you're fearful of hurting yourself to the point it makes you not want to ride it's you who makes that choice. But living life wrapped up in cotton wool isn't fun, we all have trips and falls and even breakages doing daily tasks not just riding. I would say stick to riding your own horse to gain your confidence, don't ride anyone elses until you feel confident enough. Don't give up on riding due to
one incident, you might really regret it later in life. But as I say
it's your choice.

I hope you're not in too much pain, wishing you a swift recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
This horse was meant to be a quiet and calm horse that i could sort of lease indefinitely and get my confidence back.

Its not the falling so much, but the injuring that makes me not want to ride. Its not just the pain but the hassle of it all. I don't have family within 10 hours drive and i haven't been here lopng enough to make good friends and its only been one day but its hard to cook, shower, write, type, wash up, carry things and i can't even drive so i am pretty stranded, thank god i live near a supermarket so i can walk. I know people have it harder and I am all for adversity makes you stronger, and i'll make it work but this has really screwed with my life.

I'm on uni break now, but if i wasn't it would be hard getting there and writing my essays, along with everything else. I don't know if i could afford more injury. And what if it had been worse? i love horses but...i don't know :'(

#9 ·
Not near as much fun coming off when you start getting older.

Although you aren't technically over the hill.

But if you could find an even older gelding, that might give you more confidence?

And you could have just as easily fallen over a tree limb and fallen just right and broken something too.

Don't give up, just get healed up, and find a horse that is more one that will build your confidence level.

#10 ·
I know how you feel. I broke my arm at 19 from a horse fall. It made me scared to ride horses but I got back on. I've fallen off twice since that incident but have learned not to reach out and try to brace myself. I'm also working on becoming a better rider so that I stay in the saddle. Yes, I still have fears that I'll fall and break since I'm 30 but riding is too fun. Also, my mom broke her pelvis in many places from a bucking horse last March but that hasn't stopped her from riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.