The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New horse in my life not sure how to start (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-horse-my-life-not-sure-76589/)

Diamonte 01-23-2011 11:57 AM

New horse in my life not sure how to start

So I have been given a 15 year old stallion, Peruvian Paso, I am not sure where to start with him. He lived his first 15 years with my Uncle and no other horses. We moved him to our home the week after Christmas 2010. Lets just say he is a handful, you can not get near him if he is eating. He bit my husband once while eating his hay and if you go near him when eating his oats, LOOK OUT. Ears back and nasty. At first he was rubbing on us and not sure if it was play or trying to become the alpha, but it was getting rough. So I took my lead rope out and scared him away to establish my space. He will not let me put a halter on him and he tries to nip not bite when we try to groom him. I need advice on where to start with him. I did ride him prior to moving him with my Uncle near by. Now we can't get near him and if you go to him he rears up and turns to maybe kick. I don't want to give up yet, I want to try ground work but do not know where to start.

mbender 01-23-2011 12:00 PM

Not a good situation dear! You may have to either get a trainer or something. This horse sounds like too much too handle! Very unsafe!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ladytrails 01-23-2011 12:07 PM

Diamonte, it sounds like you have been given a handful of horse. I don't mean to offend, but I think the first decision I would be making is whether to give him back to my uncle, or if I thought he was worth the time and effort to train and I liked his personality, then I'd have the vet out to geld him asap.

I don't know from your profile if you've had lots of experience with horses or not. His biting, pushing, rearing and turning his rump to you (e.g. ready to kick) are all very agressive signs that he intends to be the #1. None of those behaviors are acceptable. It sounds like he hasn't been handled very much and hasn't learned his manners. This is a safety issue for you and anyone else who would come in contact with him.

You will get lots of responses from other posters who are much better than me, and much more experienced than me, in handling this kind of problem horse, so I'll be interested in what they have to say. My caution for you, until you get some better advice from the others on this forum, is to be very, very careful. You have to watch out for your safety and this guy is behaving as if he has no respect for you and if he decides to treat you like another horse, to teach you YOUR manners, you will be hurt. Be safe, and good luck!

mbender 01-23-2011 12:09 PM

Agreed!
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamonte 01-23-2011 12:12 PM

How will the Vet Geld him if he won't let us near him, I have spoken to a trainer that wants to come evaluate him in the warmer weather. What is the average cost of Gelding?

JustDressageIt 01-23-2011 12:14 PM

My opinion? Geld him and get a professional to work with both of you and the horse. This is a very dangerous situation that is likely to escalate. If you don't know what to do exactly at the right moment, you can get yourself in a very dangerous spot.
Posted via Mobile Device

beauforever23 01-23-2011 12:16 PM

I agree geld him and get a good trainer to work with him. Rearing can get very dangerous, either that or I'd give him back to your uncle.

JustDressageIt 01-23-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonte (Post 900246)
How will the Vet Geld him if he won't let us near him, I have spoken to a trainer that wants to come evaluate him in the warmer weather. What is the average cost of Gelding?

Get a pro out to work with him, then make a vet appointment ASAP to get him gelded. All the vet needs access to is an area to inject to heavily sedate him. Gelding the animal is in all your best interests.
Posted via Mobile Device

mbender 01-23-2011 12:17 PM

Call a vet for those questions. That's your best bet. Please don't feel offended at our comments as our first priority to you is your safety!
Posted via Mobile Device

beauforever23 01-23-2011 12:23 PM

I agree. You definitely don't want this animal hurting you. Geld him ASAP. It's in the best interest for you and your horse.