The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What did I do wrong? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-did-i-do-wrong-76618/)

islandponi 01-23-2011 02:54 PM

What did I do wrong?

Why did I get last in this western pleasure halter class? Grooming wise, not showmanship. (Which I still don't understand the moving sides when the judges moves sides.)

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2686/1001972l.jpg

natisha 01-23-2011 03:00 PM

I'm no judge but at first glance the halter is not properly adjusted, the noseband should be half way between the nostril & eye. Also hoof black would help. That could have been the difference between your horse & the others. If it was a WP class they may have been wanting to see a short mane though I really like your horse's mane & wouldn't shorten it for a halter class.
I think besides those things your horse looks marvelous.

Scoope 01-23-2011 03:04 PM

I dont know western much, but from the photo - to me at least , hooves look dirty to me, and mane looks a bit off at the bottom - don't know if this could be why?? and it is muddy by the looks of it - so I dont know , just a thought. - Nice looking horse though

Eolith 01-23-2011 03:04 PM

First thing, remember: there's no such thing as too much show sheen.

Her mane and forelock look a little on the poofy and out of control side of things. You probably need to slather more product into it, trim it with razor straightness, and/or pull some of it to thin it. Also, her hooves need to be cleaned up and have some polish applied to them.

Some people will also rub a little bit of vaseline around the horse's muzzle and eyes to give the skin an almost "polished" glistening look. Here's a horse that likely has had the vaseline trick applied to make her eyes and muzzle shine: eaerrogance | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'm not a professional, these are just the things that sort of caught my eye.

Scoope 01-23-2011 03:05 PM

sorry , just re read that - the mane dosent look muddy - the arena does , Hoof black would help though

islandponi 01-23-2011 03:06 PM

Natisha---Thank you! And I'm going to pull her mane around may this year for all around western so I can band it. And I will now make sure the halter is right. And she did have hoof polish on, it was a little muddy and the gravel in the ring made her feet look ugly.

islandponi 01-23-2011 03:13 PM

I was just wondering if someone could explain the showmanship patterns. Like when the judge moves to one side you move to a certain side. I don't understand it very much.

drafteventer 01-23-2011 03:56 PM

I believe (If I remember correctly) that you go to the opposite side the judge is judging, so if he's on the left, you're on the right, but if he's right in front of you stand on the usual side of your horse..if he's behind your horse you stand in front. Make sure you are always facing the judge. Also make sure you smile and stand straight with good posture.

As far as the grooming goes, I don't think you can help the whole mud thing...but you could thin/pull your horses mane so it's not quite as poofy...but if you like it long, don't bother if it's just a small horseshow. Your halter looks like it needs to be adjusted up a hole on the crown so the noseband isn't so far down. But you're horse looks very shiny and well cared for :).

But I am by no means a halter expert, just the occansional class at a horse show.

FeatheredFeet 01-23-2011 04:05 PM

I know little about showing WP halter, but I would invest in a nice show halter which fits. Also, is it usual to shows mares with a stud chain?

Lizzie

workingtrot 01-23-2011 04:29 PM

There is a good thread about the Quarter Method here: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show...-method-50206/

Remember that in a SHOWMANSHIP class, grooming AND presentation count, so you're being judged on the whole picture -- how you complete the entire pattern and how you present yourself and your horse (with confidence, and a SMILE helps!) counts, as well as having the horse groomed to within an inch of her life.

In a HALTER class, the horse is judged on conformation and suitability, so all the elbow grease and showsheen in the world won't help if your horse is not the right type!

Another note, though it's been a while since I've shown western, so someone else may need to chime in -- I believe if you use a stud chain it's supposed to go under the chin instead of over the nose.