The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How To De-Worm Her? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-de-worm-her-76637/)

xxJustJumpItxx 01-23-2011 07:21 PM

How To De-Worm Her?

My friend bought a horse who's a little underweight, but not too bad. She hasn't had her hooves done in about 7 months, but they suprisingly aren't horrible. Anyway, her previous owner hasnt dewormed her in about a year. She's about 5 years old, a more Thoroughbred-y Appendix, and almost 16 hands. I'm just wondering what deworming you would suggest doing. I've heard that doing too much too soon can cause a build=up of dead worms and colic and my friend definitely does not want that! The horse has been alone in a pasture and will continue to live out 24/7. I'm asking because I don't want my horse to get worms from her new mare :P Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks (:

OneFastHorse 01-23-2011 08:33 PM

Get a fecal done so you KNOW what you need to deworm for

xxJustJumpItxx 01-25-2011 06:21 PM

The farm is over an hour and a half away from the nearest vet. They're a very "country" family I guess you could say, so the vet comes out once a year for vaccinations and in case of emergency, but no more. So getting a fecal done would mean driving almost 4 hours. They'll pay for any dewormer though, the feed store is right down the road. We just need ideas to clean her out of everything she could possibly have. They were just going to put her on the regular deworming schedule with the rest of the horses, which would be fine, but she's out with my horse only. Maybe I'm being a little overprotective, I just don't want my mare to get worms and lose weight, she's already a hard keeper.

So what are the dewormers that will get rid of everything?
P.S. We live in South Louisana if that helps.

Sarahandlola 01-25-2011 06:25 PM

When I got my mare I got the dearest wormer. It was the best one. She was thin and probably full of worms. After that she gained weight very well. She is now losing it again..But I can now get her the cheaper wormer. I really don't see the point in worming her because there are horses and ponies in the field where she is that have not been wormed is ages! Won't she just get them back again?

natisha 01-25-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahandlola (Post 903510)
When I got my mare I got the dearest wormer. It was the best one. She was thin and probably full of worms. After that she gained weight very well. She is now losing it again..But I can now get her the cheaper wormer. I really don't see the point in worming her because there are horses and ponies in the field where she is that have not been wormed is ages! Won't she just get them back again?

Yes, she will be reinfested but regular deworming keeps them in check & avoids problems. Deworming only kills the hatched worms that come in contact with the dewormer, then the unhatched ones hatch so you deworm to kill them too. That's why deworming should be done every other month to try to closely match the worm's life cycle.
If you don't they will all live & continue to reproduce, all the while living off your horse. They are parasites, they attached to the insides of the horse & take nutrients from the horse, causing weight loss & other problems. Deworming is cheap.

Buckcherry 01-25-2011 07:06 PM

My vet and all the vets in my area suggested getting the horses checked for worms. and ONLY worming if they have worms.

natisha 01-26-2011 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckcherry (Post 903551)
My vet and all the vets in my area suggested getting the horses checked for worms. and ONLY worming if they have worms.

Yes, that's what I do too but my counts are always negative.
She was asking about a place where no one is dewormed so they are likely all wormy. In that case the best one can do for their own horse is frequent deworming.

kitten_Val 01-26-2011 08:37 AM

Fecal exam will NOT tell you about number of worms (tape warms would be a good example). Just as a note... :wink:

When I got my horse with no history of deworming I gave her Zimecterin Gold (which works against tape worms as well). I know some people suggest to go with daily dewormer with those horses that didn't get dewormer for while, but I never tried it.

Alwaysbehind 01-26-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFastHorse (Post 900907)
Get a fecal done so you KNOW what you need to deworm for

I agree with this. Best to have an idea of what you are up against.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxJustJumpItxx (Post 903504)
The farm is over an hour and a half away from the nearest vet. <snip> So getting a fecal done would mean driving almost 4 hours.

:???: Strange math. I guess over an hour and a half = closer to two hours?

I guess I am weird (no guessing really, it is a known fact, but that is totally off topic), I recently drove an hour to my vet to drop off a manure sample for my new pony to have a fecal done. It was important so I did it.

If I was going to just pick a dewormer off the shelf I would probably pick Equimax. (Which is what the vet had me use for my heavily worm burdened new pony.)

Buckcherry 01-26-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

She was asking about a place where no one is dewormed so they are likely all wormy. In that case the best one can do for their own horse is frequent deworming.
Just because they aren't worming doesn't necessarily mean they have worms. The farm I take lessons at has over 60 horses. They all were checked for worms and only two or three actually had them.

I agree about taking the drive to get the fecals done. Then you have a better idea of what type of de-wormer they need if any. Why worm if your horse has no worms?!?!?!