The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Blind? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/blind-76664/)

ShutUpJoe 01-23-2011 11:11 PM

Blind?

What do you guys think? When she came she bumped into the trailer door. I mean it was right in front of her. Just walked right into it. When I put her in the stall she bumped into a few walls. Then started sniffing around the edge of the stall. The horse next to her stuck her head over the divider and she acted like she wasn't even there. Walked right over her water bucket like she didn't know it was there. She won't lead. Every time a loud noise sounds she stands shaking in the back of the stall.

I think she is. I'm going to get a vet out soon to confirm. She might also possibly be in foal and her one eye reflects blue badly. It seems like she may be able to see a little bit of light....

OneFastHorse 01-23-2011 11:16 PM

I didnt watch the video, but does she react at all to you pretending to slap her in the face? (towards her eye)

She does sound blind.

dressagebelle 01-23-2011 11:56 PM

It sounds like she at least has some limited sight if not completely blind. She did blink a couple times in the video when you had your hand moving, but air will do that too, so a vet really needs to be the one to make the diagnosis. We think that my dad's horse was starting to go blind, but since we ended up putting him down shortly after I started noticing his odd behavior, we didn't have a chance to look into it, but he started jumping at sounds, and shadow and things that he'd never had an issue with before, and when I would wave my hand in front of his face some times he'd react, and other times he would do nothing. If she's running into stall walls as well as the trailer door, I would assume that she's got sight issues, and I would keep her in one place until the vet can properly diagnose exactly what the problem is, and can recommend ways of making life a little less stressful for her, especially if she's pregnant. I would highly recommend putting her in with a calm gelding that will help her out, she can get acquainted, and then when the baby's born (assuming she is in fact pregnant), then she'll have some added help and comfort making sure the baby is okay. Keep us updated, and let us know. She is very pretty too. Would love to see some pictures of her.

cascanastargazer 01-24-2011 12:45 AM

Hi Joe,

I didn't read the posts from the others, but I'd definitely have the vet check her out. My QH mare is blind in her right eye and has been since she was 2 (she's 13 now). I was thinking about what I've noticed about Lilly and whether these little hints would help you out. For starters, you know how their pupil is rectangular? I can't see hers in her blind eye. Lilly can see shadows. Get your hand closer to her than you had it in the video -- right up next to her eye -- and wave it around a little like you were. Try pulsing with an open palm at the eye you think is bad. If she spooks/jumps at the pulsing but not the waving, she might still be seeing shadows, but if she isn't responding to either there's a chance she might be entirely blinded. Also pay attention to the way that she moves. Lilly, for example, tends to bump into things more often when she moves to her right (me, the grain bucket, etc.) but it never happens if she moves to her left. She also lunges closer to me when I lunge her with her blind eye to the inside of the ring because she's trying to see my cues. Regardless, only the vet can tell you for sure.

If it's any consolation, Lilly has overcome her blindness beautifully :) You wouldn't even know it unless I mentioned it! Lots of horses can work through blindness with time and patience.

Good luck!
Jess

myhorsesonador 01-24-2011 01:42 AM

If she is blind I would sugest puting her in with a nice calm horse that has a cow bell around its nec or some thing.

Alwaysbehind 01-24-2011 09:21 AM

Did not watch the video.

Bashing into things does not always mean there are site issues. BF does that when she is being irrational (mad, scared, anxious). It is part of her reacting then thinking process.

HairyCob 01-24-2011 09:24 AM

If you are worried best to get a vet out to check her over, it could be a variety of things. I hope you get to the bottom of this.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 01-24-2011 09:56 AM

I think she can see. She may have issues in the one eye but I think she can see. She seems really quiet though. I'm very curious what the vet says, there is probably some sight issues, but I think she can see something, more so on one side then the other...

Edited to add that I boarded my horse with a pony that was blind once, it was pretty neat the way the herd watched over her. She was very old and I remember one day going out and all of the horses were freaked out (three total). They were screaming and they were running the pasture and the wood line, it was strange because they weren't running together, it was like they had split up. The pony was nowhere to be seen and I thought she had maybe died (old pony, OLD PONY). I walked the pasture and found her on a hill in an old shed. She was just waiting for someone to find her so she could come down for feed. The moment she heard me she called out and followed. She senced me, or heard me, anyhow, everyone was calm once they got their blind pony back....

ShutUpJoe 01-24-2011 10:01 AM

Unfortunately at this moment I do not have the facilities or a calm horse to put her in with. I tried to introduce her to Davinci and she tried to go after him. I'm VERY upset about this. My husband and I have decided that we don't want to see her get hurt being here. She's got to find a place that has experience with blind horses. There is no doubt in my mind her sight is limited.

We just moved in here this summer and we have the pasture safe enough for a horse that can see. But from what I'm reading on the internet it's got a ways to go to be ok for a blind horse. We've got low hanging branches, dips that a sighted horse can see and avoid and I don't have a seperate paddock right now.

When I pretend to slap at her eye she does not blink. She will touch me with her nose and feel up my arm with her nose. I've literally been crying over this since she's gotten here. I wish I could figure out a way to keep her.

ShutUpJoe 01-24-2011 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I'm rather upset....forgot pictures.