The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   MTG Routines?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mtg-routines-76716/)

VintageMatch 01-24-2011 04:32 PM

MTG Routines??

So I just bought a sample bottle of MTG to try on my TB but I'm not sure how to use it..... It's like -20 at my barn so I can't bath her, her tail was washed in November at the royal and I only brush it when it's clean and has a little Cowboy magic in it. I don't go out everyday, right now I'm lucky if I get out 1-2 times a week. It's braided and kept in a tail bag. I think thats all the necessary details.

OneFastHorse 01-28-2011 11:24 AM

apply it 1-2 times a week. Dont use a lot. A little goes a very long way. make sure to shake it good before use. Apply it to the roots only and massage it in good. I put my MTG in a spray bottle for easy application and I use rubber gloves b/c it stinks really bad and the smell DOES NOT wash off LOL

Tejas 02-06-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFastHorse (Post 907453)
apply it 1-2 times a week. Dont use a lot. A little goes a very long way. make sure to shake it good before use. Apply it to the roots only and massage it in good. I put my MTG in a spray bottle for easy application and I use rubber gloves b/c it stinks really bad and the smell DOES NOT wash off LOL

Awesome tip! I will be sure to get a spray bottle before attempting to apply it!

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-06-2011 11:53 AM

Ah! I never thought to do that! This is going to be a lot more convenient. :):lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas (Post 918565)
Awesome tip! I will be sure to get a spray bottle before attempting to apply it!

Saddlebag 02-06-2011 11:58 AM

I've had good luck with Endust, the furniture polish with the yellow cap. I'll spray my leather glove and work it in. I need to barely dampen the hair to reactivate the polish.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 02-06-2011 12:18 PM

Gotta say, I've never heard of this before. You do this just for a glossy sheen and not to promote hair growth like MTG, right?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 918638)
I've had good luck with Endust, the furniture polish with the yellow cap. I'll spray my leather glove and work it in. I need to barely dampen the hair to reactivate the polish.

raywonk 02-06-2011 12:46 PM

I love this stuff. It works great on cuts and sweet ich also. It also helps to keep the hair frome turning white. One note to remaber during show season do not use it just befor the show with out washing it out. Makes tail look realy nasty. I did it once not thinking during winter. I had to go into a class with a wet tail. I took the tail out of sock that morining and was omg how nasty. I had put MTG on a day or so before and did not wash him befor the show just vacumed him. We were washing his tail in a bucket at 6 am. LOL

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-09-2011 12:24 PM

Use with caution...

1 Attachment(s)
Be very careful with it though...this is what just happened to my mare :(

So the original lump (top left of photo) she has had on her back for over a year now (which was an allergic reaction to an insect bite), from time to time it gets bigger which then gets irritated by the saddle. I have this stuff called “Entederm” the vet gave me to put on it, which helps to shrink it back down again. The downside is that it also makes her skin sensitive and makes the hair fall out/makes it easier for the saddle to rub it off.

So to help the hair grow back, I put some MTG on it. Well, apparently this is what happens when you put MTG on an area that’s already sensitive…ALL the hair falls off L CHEMICAL BURN!

Now the poor thing is on Banamine and SMZ’s to prevent infection and can’t go outside because she can’t wear her blanket, so she’s stuck on no turnout until it heals. The really freaky thing is that Sandie’s skin is BLACK normally, NOT pink, so it really did a number on her. (BTW the blue stuff is blue kote which I put on there when I first noticed the skin starting to flake off, hoping to heal it, not realizing that it was a chemical burn and would all come off anyway)

This is probably a FREAK thing I'm sure, but just a warning to be very careful if your horse has sensitive skin.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 03-09-2011 12:28 PM

Spray bottle wouldn't pump after vigorous shaking and eventually broke. Back to MTG bottle!

raywonk 03-09-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 956286)
Be very careful with it though...this is what just happened to my mare :(

So the original lump (top left of photo) she has had on her back for over a year now (which was an allergic reaction to an insect bite), from time to time it gets bigger which then gets irritated by the saddle. I have this stuff called “Entederm” the vet gave me to put on it, which helps to shrink it back down again. The downside is that it also makes her skin sensitive and makes the hair fall out/makes it easier for the saddle to rub it off.

So to help the hair grow back, I put some MTG on it. Well, apparently this is what happens when you put MTG on an area that’s already sensitive…ALL the hair falls off L CHEMICAL BURN!

Now the poor thing is on Banamine and SMZ’s to prevent infection and can’t go outside because she can’t wear her blanket, so she’s stuck on no turnout until it heals. The really freaky thing is that Sandie’s skin is BLACK normally, NOT pink, so it really did a number on her. (BTW the blue stuff is blue kote which I put on there when I first noticed the skin starting to flake off, hoping to heal it, not realizing that it was a chemical burn and would all come off anyway)

This is probably a FREAK thing I'm sure, but just a warning to be very careful if your horse has sensitive skin.

I wonder if the other stuff that your vet gave you to use and the MTG mixed is what caused this to happen. That is nasty looking. Or maby your mare is alergic to it. I know that I am alergic to some weard cimicals and it is not pretty for me.