The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What is with the ears?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-ears-76723/)

Sarahandlola 01-24-2011 06:39 PM

What is with the ears?!

I have started a topic about this a while ago. My horse pins her ears back when I lung or free lunge her...

Here are pictures...

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...kane/031-7.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/019-Copy.jpg

She is not in pain. She only ever does this when being lunged. So I think it is either the whip or she just does not want to make an effort!

Today she actually tried to run at me she looked very angry. And people are thinking I am making her mad so I want to find a way so that she does not look like she is gonna kill someone. She only does it when I ask her to trot. Then after I take the whip away her ears go back to normal. Sometimes they don't though. So I don't know what it is.

Can anyone help me to help her relax while I lunge her?

equiniphile 01-24-2011 06:48 PM

Maybe she wants to keep the wind out of her ears? Mine sometimes do that when they play in the field, when they're running fast they swivel their ears against the wind.

usandpets 01-24-2011 08:30 PM

I don't think it's the wind. When a horse pins their ears, they are displaying their dislike of something. I would guess that she dislikes you telling her what to do. She doesn't see you as her leader. She will stop pinning her ears the more you work with her.

xXEventerXx 01-24-2011 08:31 PM

Some horses do that , maybe wind, if your chasing her over the jump...

New_image 01-24-2011 10:11 PM

I would not guess "its the wind" as her whole face looks un-happy. If she is doing as you ask, she is listening and thus I also do not think "working with her more/more lounging" will make her happy either. Is there any particular reason for so much lounging? My very well trained mare detests lounging, to her its like telling the kid who races dirt bikes to ride a tricycle. I've trained horses for years and haven't asked one to run a tiny circles around me... ever.

IslandWave 01-24-2011 10:34 PM

It could just be that she doesn't like it.
We started a mare this summer who pins her ears when you ask her to go faster than a trot and has her ears pinned the whole time you are cantering her, whether lunging or riding. She's a perfectly healthy horse, just doesn't like to work hard. I feel like her pinning her ears is just her attitude, of which she has plenty. ;)
Perhaps that could be the case with your mare?

Palomine 01-25-2011 01:33 PM

If she knows what to do, then I too would say she doesn't see the need to do it.

If everytime you work with her, lunging is performed, she may just be sick of it.

mls 01-25-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarahandlola (Post 902181)

1. She is not in pain.

2. She only does it when I ask her to trot.

Then after I take the whip away her ears go back to normal. Sometimes they don't though. So I don't know what it is.

Can anyone help me to help her relax while I lunge her?

1. How did you rule out pain?

2. How is she asked to trot?

3. Is there any other time the whip is used?

usandpets 01-25-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_image (Post 902556)
I would not guess "its the wind" as her whole face looks un-happy. If she is doing as you ask, she is listening and thus I also do not think "working with her more/more lounging" will make her happy either. Is there any particular reason for so much lounging? My very well trained mare detests lounging, to her its like telling the kid who races dirt bikes to ride a tricycle. I've trained horses for years and haven't asked one to run a tiny circles around me... ever.

I don't know if your comment was directed towards me or not. Working her more does not mean to just lunge. Also, lunging does not mean to just have the horse run circles around you. If that's all you think it is, then no, it doesn't do any good and that's why your mare detests it. You need to have the horse change direction frequently. Working a horse also involves them yielding their front and rear ends, backing up, or anything that gets them to move and change directions. Working them is to get them respectful and be a willing partner. A respectful and willing horse does not pin the ears or act out when you ask them to do something. Of course a horse isn't going to be "happy" when it has to work. Who would be? They are happy when they are doing nothing but sleeping and eating.

I'm not trying to say you don't know how to train because we all don't train the same way.

A knack for horses 01-25-2011 11:39 PM

Here is a similar thread started by Coffeeaddict. Her Horse had an issue of pinning her ears back when being lounged. This is the thread:

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...worried-62204/

Here is my comment on the post:

"Are you sure it isn't something around the roundpen that is making her show agression? There may be an object or other horse that she is not particularly fond of, and she may be reacting to it in a way she feels she needs to. If this is the case, I would try to remove the object causing the agression at least out of sight from the roundpen.

My other suggestion is to bump her up to a lope when she pins her ears back. Only make her lope 2-3 rounds, or until she stops her unwanted behavior. She will soon learn that getting nasty in the roundpen just leads to more work."

Hope this helps you out. :D