The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   Which camera is better? (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/camera-better-76775/)

NordicJuniper 01-25-2011 04:34 AM

Which camera is better?

I am having a hard time picking out a camera. My Sanyo broke today, the screen cracked, unfortunately since the camera is only roughly 8 months old.

But now I need to buy a new camera as I take a lot of pictures of riding and horses and such but can't afford too much.

So far I like the Kodak Easyshare C183 and the Canon A495, they both have great reviews, Kodak has some bad ones but the ratio of good to bad makes me still consider the camera.

I am open for other suggestions as well but I am looking for something under 100 dollars really.

Anyone have these cameras or some others that are good?

jinxremoving 01-25-2011 10:53 AM

The Kodak Easyshare C183 has slightly better specs than the Canon A495, with 12 megapixels instead of 10. If you could find a Panasonic Lumix for around $100 it would be a better deal than the Kodak or Canon because of the higher optical zoom. Don't let the name scare you, Panasonic makes wicked cameras these days. :]

Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ = Trusted site for camera reviews, everything from $x,xxx digital SLR's to cheap cameras.

Poseidon 01-26-2011 12:16 AM

I would say Canon. I'm not really a fan of Kodak cameras. Canon has fantastic colours. I wouldn't judge them based on megapixels. Megapixels are really only relevant if you plan to blow up the images into huge canvased pictures for your wall.

I have a Nikon D40, which I realized the other day cost me more than my horse because of the warranties I got. I got it last summer (they have since stopped making them). It only has 6 megapixels. But if you saw the pictures it takes, you would never know unless you were maybe huge into photography.

I prefer my Nikon over Canon DSLRs just out of personal preference, but I know people with small point and shoot Canons and they produce pretty good pictures.

ShutUpJoe 01-26-2011 12:46 AM

I had a Kodak Easyshare that all the pieces came off of within a year of owning it. I bought the 3 year extended warranty and they still would not fix it "because the rubber pieces fell off". I have always been a fan of Canon cameras. Even though I am purchasing a Nikon (yes, I'm a traitor).

Poseidon 01-26-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe (Post 904076)
I had a Kodak Easyshare that all the pieces came off of within a year of owning it. I bought the 3 year extended warranty and they still would not fix it "because the rubber pieces fell off". I have always been a fan of Canon cameras. Even though I am purchasing a Nikon (yes, I'm a traitor).

Nikon for the win!

I'm a traitor too. I just suggested the Canon. I like the pictures Canon produces..but for some reason I just refuse to use one. I can change my Nikon settings enough to look just like a Canon picture anyway.

NordicJuniper 01-26-2011 02:35 AM

My friend had a Nikon Coolpix I believe it was and it didn't take good pictures at all. That type of Nikon would be the only one I could afford and I don't think I will be getting that one to say the least.

Still in between the Canon and Kodak, my mom had a Kodak which I used to take some pictures of a birthday party of mine. Me and my friends were all wearing glowsticks and tried to take a picture in the pitch black so just the glow sticks would show and the Kodak took the picture and it turned out like a normal lighted picture despite there being little to no light in the room.

I am looking for a camera that takes good pictures in low light since most of my pictures are of me riding in a covered arena.

ShutUpJoe 01-26-2011 12:56 PM

Even though everything fell off my Kodak Easyshare it still takes good pics. The flash no longer works though....

Poseidon 01-26-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NordicJuniper (Post 904142)
My friend had a Nikon Coolpix I believe it was and it didn't take good pictures at all. That type of Nikon would be the only one I could afford and I don't think I will be getting that one to say the least.

Still in between the Canon and Kodak, my mom had a Kodak which I used to take some pictures of a birthday party of mine. Me and my friends were all wearing glowsticks and tried to take a picture in the pitch black so just the glow sticks would show and the Kodak took the picture and it turned out like a normal lighted picture despite there being little to no light in the room.

I am looking for a camera that takes good pictures in low light since most of my pictures are of me riding in a covered arena.

I am sorry to admit that Coolpix blow. I got one for my mom for Christmas one year because they had them for sale really cheap on black Friday and she wanted a new camera. I was disappointed. But that was a really little one.

I can't remember what kind of Nikon my friend has that takes good pictures for its size. I just googled it. It's a Coolpix, but one of the bigger ones that's about half the size of a DSLR. Those ones are nice. Hers is either a L110 or P100.

My Nikon is a D40, but it's discontinued. The D40X is still in production, I thinkkk but I'm not sure. A D3000 is a slightly nicer version of a D40 and is a newer model. My friend has one. Either way, mine was roughly $550 for the camera with a 18-55mm lens, a 55-200mm zoom lens and a really nice camera bag. Then I got a 2 year warranty on the zoom lens and a 4 year warranty on the camera body because I work at a summer camp. I figured something would happen to them. It ended up being $750ish when it was all done, which is probably COMPLETELY out of your price range.

Of Kodak or Canon, I would say Canon, but you might just have to go to a store and test them out yourself. That's how I decided on my camera. My friend had a D40 that I played with a lot and I really liked it.