The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   saddle pad question (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/saddle-pad-question-76801/)

farmpony84 01-25-2011 02:26 PM

saddle pad question

I'm questioning the fit of my saddle. I've surfed the web and watched several videos so I plan to check the fit myself but I wanted to ask about the Mattes Quarter Horse pads and half pads. Can anyone give me opinions and explanations on them? Are they worth the money and why? (and yes, I am considering purchasing it)

Mattes Quarter Horse Close Contact Pad - Half Pads from SmartPak Equine

Zeke 01-25-2011 02:53 PM

WOAH! Maybe it's because I'm not as much of an english person and never expected a pad almost half the size of a western pad to cost twice as much as a name brand western pad but...WOAH!

I can't say I've used it but I think they're using these top riders as a gimmick and the fact it's geared towards a specific breed as a gimmick too. Also, if it's not in contact with the spine, cool there's no rubs there in theory but it doesn't mean it can't rub other places. Natural sheepskin cannot be that much better then a synthetic poofy material right? They also keep throwing the phrase "correct design" and "correct shape" at you when really...unless they've fitted it to your horses body it'll be close...but not exact. To me there is a lot of rhetoric in the ad, and it's not really worth over $200.

Maybe someone could educate me though?

farmpony84 01-25-2011 02:56 PM

Yeah, that's my dilemma they don't really give you much info, it seems like all fluff...????

Zeke 01-25-2011 03:31 PM

That's exactly what it is. Has anyone ever told you your horses spine is so sensitive that a piece of sheep skin shouldn't be touching it? Plus, does the shape of that pad really look different enough from anything else that would make it "more correct". I think you could find the exact same thing for much less money.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 01-25-2011 05:38 PM

They are bulky IMHO (at least those I've seen in Dover) so I decided not to get one while back when I was looking for one for my horse. Is your saddle really wide so you consider it? I'd much rather go with Skito or Thinline to be honest (will be cheaper too).

My Beau 01-25-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 903337)

I can't say I've used it but I think they're using these top riders as a gimmick and the fact it's geared towards a specific breed as a gimmick too.

I think when they say "QH" saddle pad, it's more of a "QH show ring" pad... as most, if not all, people who show AQHA use pads like this:

http://www.hokana.com/pickyourpleasurefixed.jpg

But, of course it's not limited to QH shows, it's more of a Hunter Under Saddle, thing.

MyBoyPuck 01-25-2011 07:00 PM

I have Roma sheepskin pad. It has no padding where the spine channel is. I think the pad was about $100. It was well worth the money. The come in black and white, dressage or AP. I can't remember where I got it, but I'm sure it will come up in a google search.

farmpony84 01-25-2011 08:00 PM

I have a wide saddle but I don't think it fits right. I'm going to try it this weekend when I have daylight. I wish warm weather would come quickly. I'm done with this cold. A friend of mine is selling her bates, it's a 16.5. She hasn't settled on a price yet, I may just buy that and then I shouldn't have saddle fit issues with the interchangeable gullet system...

Zeke 01-25-2011 08:03 PM

Thanks My Beau that makes more sense. Just paired with the next paragraph about topline shape I figured they meant a QH topline...idk haha thanks tho!

bsms 01-25-2011 08:34 PM

I have tried the Wintec closed cell foam pads. They make them even throughout, thick in the front, and thick in the rear - your choice.

My mare is wider than my gelding - not a lot, but a little, and he has higher withers to boot. I use the even thickness pad on her just because she seems happier with it than without, and the thick in front pad when using the same saddle on the gelding. He's a tough read - he still has scars from an ill fitting saddle and people who didn't care, and he doesn't flinch even under a horrible fitting saddle. Still, my plan it seems to work.

The drawback is it puts you higher, but if contact is close enough for the horse to be unenthusiastic, then an extra 1/2" is worth a happy horse. Of course, I ride for fun, so someone competing would have a different need.

Oh - and the Wintec pads run around $25.