The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   heavy weight turnouts not keeping horses warm (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/heavy-weight-turnouts-not-keeping-horses-76823/)

spirit88 01-25-2011 06:50 PM

heavy weight turnouts not keeping horses warm

Ok what does everyone here think of this,I blanket my horses because we have rather extreme temps like -40 to 56 below zero. My older mare doesnt ever grow much winter coat,i dont blanket until early december. My other horse is alway cold shakes alot with out blanket,third horse he was very sick for the first half of winter so he wears a blanket also his keeps him warm. My other two are very cold under there blankets the one shakes when it below zero. the fill is 400grams fill 1200 denier the one has been used two winters the other one is on its third winter. I cant take blankets off now they would really suffer,iam going to order blanket liners. Do i need to replace these blankets there still water proof and in good shape but they are not doing what they are made for keeping my horses warm. Sorry about the long rant but need input on this.

NorthernMama 01-25-2011 07:13 PM

Wow! That's COLD even for me. I can't help you with the blanket question as I never blanket, but the coldest it gets here is about -40 celcius and that's unusual. -25 is "normal". Where are you?

However, if you give them straw to eat it is a warmer food than hay. I assume they also have shelter. If it's that cold, it'd be nice to have a four-sided shelter with a very wide walk-in for them.

Rachel1786 01-25-2011 08:16 PM

they should be fine after you put a blanket liner under, that is very very cold, so even with the thickest blanket they might still need something extra, my 30+ year old gelding has a heavy weight(not sure the fill on it, i got it about 5 years ago) and a full thick winter coat and he still needs a liner if it's below 20F

MyBoyPuck 01-25-2011 08:30 PM

Adjusta-Fit® V-FREE? Nylon Blanket Liner in Blanket Liners at Schneider Saddlery

We just went through a below zero snap. My horse is out 24/7. I just got the above liner last week and used it under his 350 gram blanket and used the attaching neck cover. The liner did as promised and my horse was nice and warm to the touch. The liner is a little stupid since the holes that come in it to put the straps through don't actually line up to my blankets straps, but I just used the tail holes to keep it in place. Layers are usually your best bet. If you don't have liner, maybe a fleece cooler underneath.

smrobs 01-25-2011 08:33 PM

I can't help you much with advice on the blankets since I don't blanket either (or have those types of temperatures), but the best thing that you can do for them is to make sure that they have 24/7 access to some kind of forage hay (grass, alfalfa, something). That will help them produce more internal heat. They should also have some kind of a good quality windbreak at least (in those temps, I'm not sure that trees would be enough), though a good enclosed shelter like NorthernMama mentioned would be best.

spirit88 01-25-2011 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies,i will order blanket liners in the morning. Iam from northern minnesota it was -40 on friday morning and 29 below saturday and sunday. We havent had the 50 below zero yet this winter,but wind chills have been bad. Its above zero this week.I think it time to move south were it warmer i hate this cold stuff. They have 24/7 hay to eat.

smrobs 01-25-2011 08:42 PM

Wow, that is just unfathomable to me. The coldest we have had so far this winter was like -2 and that was overnight. The days have been averaging in the lower +40s.

Rachel1786 01-25-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 903633)
they should be fine after you put a blanket liner under, that is very very cold, so even with the thickest blanket they might still need something extra, my 30+ year old gelding has a heavy weight(not sure the fill on it, i got it about 5 years ago) and a full thick winter coat and he still needs a liner if it's below 20F

Can't figure out how to edit my post, but this is the liner i have Adjusta-Fit® TEKNO-FLEECE® Bellyband Liner in Blanket Liners at Schneider Saddlery
I really like it, aside from the static when i take it off, and it has a closed front so it might be a problem for a less trusting horse, i don't think i'd ever get it on my appy, but it's nice and fat and furry so he doesn't need it lol

MyBoyPuck 01-25-2011 08:42 PM

That is pretty freakin cold. We only got to -7 and we thought that was bad. Found myself walking around today in just a sweatshirt since it's a balmy 37 degrees out. Perspective and relativity are wonderful things sometimes. Don't worry, it'll be up to zero soon and you'll be doing handsprings.

~*~anebel~*~ 01-25-2011 08:55 PM

Our winters are comparable, very cold and high wind chill. My favorite story is one time I was driving out to do chores at the barn in the morning and the neon on the Subway sign (should be white and yellow) was red. Looked at a thermometer it was below -40.

Anyways. I blanket my guy, who is clipped, in a 350g blanket with a neck cover and a 300g stable blanket underneath. If it is super super cold I'll chuck another 200g blanket on him. The key to keeping them warm after you've spent all than money on blankets is to keep the furnace on - feed them lots of hay!! We go out an buy really low energy density hay (still good quality ie not dusty or moldy) and put it in front of them in round bales.

Good luck!