The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Which Stallion Out of These?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/stallion-out-these-76830/)

lilruffian 01-25-2011 08:01 PM

Which Stallion Out of These??

So i am still planning on breeding my Arab mare (not registered as far as i know) in the future; possibly this year or next.
I thought i had the perfect stud picked out (he was my aunt's palomino APHA stud Docs Golden Edition & the sire to my 09 filly, Mouse), however he was sold back in the summer & after lots of searching i finally managed to track down his current owners, only to discover they had had him gelded! :-(

Soo... i am back in the same boat & still considering stallions of all sorts from a beautiful Friesian ($800+mare care) to a Fjord ($500+mare care).
What i am looking for is a nicely built horse with a flashy look (though i do love buckskin/duns & true BLACK) :D
Above all, however, i want a stud with a good disposition as this is the major feature i would wish to be passed on (so no hot heads or high-energied boys). If he has a good foal record that's even better!

My mare is 15hh, black in color with only one sock. She is of a light build, with a beautiful face & tail set, amazing hooves, however she is pigeon toed in the front. Great disposition as well.
I spotted this ad today & am adding a few to my "propects" list lol. The foal will be for pleasure, trails & gymkhana, though i do want it to have some resale value just incase.

So, what do you guys think of these studs??
I've ruled out the first, though he is a lovey color & pattern he's terrible sickle-hocked & i don't particularly like his confo...
All are within my price range & pretty close :-)
Beautiful AQHA & APHA stallions Standing at Stud - Dilute Colors - Edmonton Livestock For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

ShutUpJoe 01-25-2011 08:32 PM

None of them impress me... : /

lilruffian 01-25-2011 09:45 PM

They're just options for now. All are in need of muscline i know

Buckcherry 01-25-2011 10:17 PM

the fact that three of them you can see their ribs pretty clearly turns me off. They are pretty horses though other than the lack of muscline and needing some weight

ShutUpJoe 01-25-2011 10:30 PM

Well what didn't impress me is they all haven't done much. The first has only had 10 rides. The second one says he is out of cutting lines but doesn't say he has been used as a cutting horse. The third goes off of the colors he has produced and nothing else. The fourth ..and the last.."He was broke out as a four year old has not been ridden much since then." and the last "This stallion would have been shown but was unable to be due to an injury."

I'm sure you can find a stallion for around the same price that has actually done something is has better confirmation. Not that it matters much because your foal won't be registrable if you bred to any of them. Unless you got a Pinto that is.

UWLEquestrian 01-25-2011 10:44 PM

Are you opposed to breeding to another Arabian?
Do you have any conformation shots of your mare?

And honestly, I'm not impressed with any of the studs either.

Chiilaa 01-25-2011 10:50 PM

To be honest, I would only ever breed a mare to a stallion I would keep whole myself. Look at these boys, and tell me honestly that you would not chose to geld them.

The first one (dun and white) - he is extremely downhill, and sickle hocked. He is ewe necked, and looks a bit over at the knee. I also think he has weak pasterns, but it is hard to tell. His back is a touch long too.

Second (solid dun) - He is really downhill, plus really butt high for a four year old. His pasterns look long and weak to me, and there is something funky going on with his feet, but that might be caused by his terrible trim.

Third (cremello and white) - Is downhill and sickle hocked. His neck also ties in really low to his chest, making him look a little pigeon chested. He also looks a bit goose rumped.

Fourth (buckskin and white) - Again, downhill and ewe necked. Also looks like he toes out behind. Another goose rump here too, and a low tie in for his neck. He looks like he has a really upright shoulder too. He also has a really long back and weak loins.

Fifth (black and white) - This one is the best of the lot. He is sickle hocked, and has a steep croup and a steep shoulder. His pasterns are upright and he toes out behind.

Personally I would keep looking. Breed up, not down :)

reining girl 01-25-2011 11:01 PM

every single one of those stallions should be cut. why bred to a medicore stud? Why not save money and actually bred to a stallion that has done more than just hump any mare that comes by?? especially since your mare is a "grade".

lilruffian 01-25-2011 11:09 PM

I agree with Chiilaa that the one i would most likely choose would be the last guy. But here is another i considered awhile back (though not my fav color). He is sired by Docs Golden Edition, which is why i liked himBig The White Stallion

reining girl 01-25-2011 11:20 PM

again a stud that has done nothing, and those pictures really dont show anything as far as conformation go's. your mare is pigeon toed, which she very well could pass on to her foal, not matter how straight of legs the stud has.... why not just go and buy a foal that has color, and correct conformation. But i know you have already made up your mind and your going to bred her no matter what any says, why not give us your criteria for a stud. Are you wanting just qh and paint studs? Would you be willing to do A.I.? What is the max stud fee you can afford?