The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sad first post. Advice on long term lameness needed please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sad-first-post-advice-long-term-76850/)

Trilogy 01-25-2011 09:52 PM

Sad first post. Advice on long term lameness needed please

Hello,

Been a long time reader of all your posts but only recently joined! I have so enjoyed the advice and input you have given other readers, I was hoping you could help me out.

I have an 11 year old Anglo arab. I have had him for about 18 months. Clean at vetting, although I didn't do x-rays. Soon after I got him he started with a very very slight headbob on his front right which would go away after a few days rest and then come back. The first vet said stone bruise and we treated accordingly. But no change. Second vet said laminitis as he had a raised pulse. Had a panic and then treated accordingly. X-rays (although badly done) came out clean. Decided that as he was pasture bound I would take him barefoot (always my preference when it is sensible). He had a few niggles and then my trimmer investgated a mile case of thrush we discovered that Eli's feet were riddled!! He had tunnels and holes and a seperation on that bad foot between the digital cushion and the sole...you could actually peer into his foot once the thrush was cut away. Treated aggresively and the holes cleared up and he was sound! ....briefly. Figured that seperation would need time to heal so gave him light duty and pasture rest for 8 months. Pulled him out and he was sound! Rode him twice and now he is lame again. Vet is now thinking navicular.

Obviously we will go down that road and hopefully get an answer. But the reality is that all these vet bills have drained me already. He is insured but after the first year his lameness will be excluded. I cannot afford $300 per month + vet bills for a horse I can't insure...or ride.

Anyone been in this situation? What were your experiences? Any advice would be welcomed. I am at my wits end :shock:

flytobecat 01-25-2011 10:27 PM

Sorry, no advice to give just sympathy.

y wolf 01-25-2011 10:47 PM

Sounds like he had a saver abscess ,holes should have shone on x ray. Is their a possibility there is something in the foot?Bars can trap things in foot. Was absess track completely cleaned out to its sorce?You said trimmer is he qualified.was sole protected after holes were pared out. Is horse still bare foot ?new x ray ?
Posted via Mobile Device