The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Which is a breed, Paint or Pinto? And which is a color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breed-paint-pinto-color-76934/)

promisethestars 01-26-2011 04:57 PM

Which is a breed, Paint or Pinto? And which is a color?

I've heard a lot of opinions on this. But does anyone know which is a breed, and which a color?

NdAppy 01-26-2011 05:00 PM

Paint is a breed. Pinto is a color.

Brandyrider 01-26-2011 05:03 PM

Actually pinto is technically a breed as well as a color pattern. You can breed and register palominos and pintos. They are cosidered breeds as well

Strange 01-26-2011 05:10 PM

Palomino and pinto registries are COLOR registries. Not breed registries.

NdAppy 01-26-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandyrider (Post 905041)
Actually pinto is technically a breed as well as a color pattern. You can breed and register palominos and pintos. They are cosidered breeds as well

Pinto and Palomino are color registries only.

Pinto takes all types of horses as long as they exhibit pinto patterns. That in and of itself makes it a color registry.

JerBear 01-26-2011 07:09 PM

Paints a breed... Pinto is a color registry. In my opinion paints shouldnt be a breed after all its just a color.... Nonsense. All they are is quarter horses with paint patterns..... But because of some idiotic people they are considered a breed. Yes

candandy49 01-27-2011 08:21 AM

A Paint is a Quarter Horse with to much excessive white to be registered with the AQHA. So therefore, Paint is a color breed. A Pinto is usually, not always, a Grade Horse with a piebald or shewbald coat pattern. Piebalds are white with black spots and Skewbalds are any color spots other than black. Therefore, Pintos are stock type or Grade horses with color.

Horsel02 01-27-2011 08:36 AM

Paints are Quarter Horses and throroughbreds with color. Pinto can be another other breed that has color.

NdAppy 01-27-2011 08:39 AM

Paint is not only a color breed. The APHA was not started as a place for the AQHA cropouts to go. You guys are forgetting the pattern tobiano. That is not found in AQHA horses.

A color registry registers anything with a specific color or pattern type (i.e. PtHA, the palomino registry, the buckskin registry, etc.). APHA now requires at least one of the sire/dam pair to be registered APHA. The other half is only from approved out crosses.

SunshineofmyLife 01-27-2011 09:06 AM

A Paint is APHA registered with strict bloodline (QH or thoroughbred) requirements, a distinct body, and must meet minimum color requirements. A Paint can be registered as a Pinto, but it is rare for a Pinto to meet Paint requirements. The Pinto Horse Association of America considers Pintos recorded in their registry as a true breed and accepts solid offspring of registered Pinto parents as breed stock, but it is a color registry.
I was able to register my horse as a Pinto to attend the Pinto world show and he's not registered anywhere else -we have no idea what his parentage is. He simply met the requirements of the amount of white on specific parts of his body, and was not obviously draft or appy. Which we think is funny, because everyone that sees him thinks he has draft in him, or appy.