The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Barn Routine (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/barn-routine-7694/)

Waccamaw 04-08-2008 10:16 AM

Barn Routine

I need help! First of all, my horses are stabled on our own property. Until Dec, I had two....one elderly and one young. Only one had to be worked, so barn routine was quite easy. I do not work outside of the home, so I rode daily when I felt like it, etc. My elderly horse died in Dec, and two new horses will be arriving in two weeks....an 8-yr old and an unbroken 6-yr old. SO....I will now need to take care of 3 horses each day and ride 3 (by myself during the week). How do I fit this all in to my day? What are your barn routines? Exercise routines? Three horses will be in "school": 1) 8-yr old trail horse that will only be kept in shape for my son who is in college 2) 6-yr old show cutting horse being retrained as a hunter/jumper and 3) 6-yr old who is ready to be trained, but has yet to wear tack. Suggestions? If anybody has a working stable schedule, I'd love to see it! :lol:

koomy56 04-08-2008 11:54 PM

heh..okay, here goes. :)
We have 60 horses on our property, with about 40 out to pasture, and 20 (estimated) in pens that get hay and grain. We are still doing blankets, although not every single horse gets one, but at least about 25!
8 am: Feeding begins, I prepare 8 or 9 grain meals for the horses in pens, and about 15 feed bags for those out in pasture, while the woman who owns the farm distributes hay and removes blankets, checks waters, etc.
9 am: We take the feed truck and head "down the hill" to feed the pasture horses. We take the 15 feed bags and distribute them to those who are lucky ( and who are patiently waiting). While they're eating, we both remove blankets and take off the feed bags as they finish. Once everyone has eaten, we drive out and throw hay to the geldings, and to the mares whom we have separated. Right now were are feeding 5 bales to the geldings in the morning, and 6 at night. The mares get 1 in the am, and 1 in the pm. (There are about 13 mares)
10 am: Drive back up the hill and re-arrange the horses so to speak. Some come in from turn out, others go out.
We finish usually at 10:30 am.
Theeen, my riding day starts. I ride about 4-5 horses a day between 10:30 and 5:00 pm. At 5, we start the P.M. feeding. We also do lunch to the horses "up top" around 12:30/1:00.
5:00 pm: Horses come in as those who need to go out can.
Blanketing starts all over again.
A few get their evening grain, but all get hay. We re-fill hay wheel-barrows and check water/gates etc.
6:00 pm: Back down the hill to re-apply blankets and feed a couple who need it, and throw hay.
We usually finish pm chores around 6:30 or 7:00 pm.
Then you wake up and do it all over again. I pray for warmer weather so the blanketing can be done with.
Anyway, that about sums it up. Certain things make certain days differ, but that is our usual schedule. We have a pretty great system so that feeding 60 horses doesnt take up our entire day!

Waccamaw 04-09-2008 08:23 AM

Thanks! That's the sort of thing I was looking for....I am going to have to treat this as more of a full-time job (rather than an obsessive hobby!) :shock: LOL.

All three will be stalled at night, so I have to add the daily stall cleaning, etc. Do you just fit your miscellaneous chores in as you have time? (such as scrubbing buckets, repairing fences, etc.)

I assume you are spending about an hour working with each horse?

I really appreciate your help!