The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Questions about quarantine (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/questions-about-quarantine-76944/)

victorialicious7 01-26-2011 08:00 PM

Questions about quarantine

Hello everyone. So this past 6 months (esp.) I have been looking at horse auctions in the east coast, specifically new holland, camelot, and unadilla. I am looking for a property to buy ASAP (before I'm out of high school/my dad had a deal with me) so that I can have horses on and be responsible for. I am def. going to beging with a nice trained horse around 10 years old, who can also show and has experience. My next horse would probably be a mini or a nice project since I've always been around horses and have seen them trained many many times. Anyways, to the point - I wanted to eventually (as in a couple years maybe) find a few horses at auctions who seem like good prospects that I can find good homes for instead of them being meat! What I really have questions about is the quarantine process.

I was looking at one place and they were only charging about $275 for a month, and another was $20/day 14x or $15/day 30x which actually isn't too bad. Do you think this is an accurate price?

Also, I've been researching some of the common diseases they have.. are they vet checked when in quarantine/or at the auction? Or is that left until they get home?

As for trailering.. I would probably find an auction with some trailers and just have a stock trailer and bring it there and back.. but how much does it cost to go from new jersey to somewhere around NC/SC/TN?

Anyways, any other info on quarantine I would really appreciate! I would rather be prepared 100% before getting into something like this one day than learn it the night before and have no idea what the heck im doing.

ShutUpJoe 01-27-2011 12:44 PM

I don't know much about quarantine. I do know that Camelot Horse Weekly has a Q&A page on their facebook. Maybe you can find the info on there?

victorialicious7 01-27-2011 03:24 PM

I did, and they were pretty good with the information, I just wanted to learn more about it for future reference :)

ShutUpJoe 01-27-2011 05:09 PM

I considered pulling a horse from there the last time when they were close to not homing all the horses. I've heard that sometimes the quarantine can cost more than what you pay for the horse. Not that that is a big deal.... just all I've heard about it.