The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   a little depressed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/little-depressed-77027/)

rottenweiler 01-27-2011 07:25 PM

a little depressed

I started taking lessons at this barn because my friend moved her horse there to board and I followed her. I had my own horse for a while but he got really sick and I couldn't afford the vet bills and time off work so the woman I bought him from was nice enough to buy him back from me. Anyway, I've ridden a few different horses at this new barn and leased a couple. There's this one mare that I really like and I've been taking lessons on her. I was going to lease her and I heard rumors that she might be for sale. So I was speaking to my instructor about leasing her and she said I could but she was for sale so if she sold before my lease was up she would have another horse for me to ride. Just out of curiosity I asked how much they were selling her for...like maybe I MIGHT have a chance of buying her... my jaw dropped when she said 10. I said "....10 THOUSAND??" 'yes' she casually replied. Well ok then, I DEFINITELY dont have $10,000 to spend on a horse I can't afford the up keep of anyway. But it will be sad to see her go. I'll keep this song in the back of my head

gottatrot 01-28-2011 02:40 AM

Not sure if this will help you feel better or not:

Before I had my first horse as an adult I rode a friend's horse. He was also for sale. He was beautiful, great to ride, and I really wanted to buy him. He seemed to bond with me since I was the only one riding him. My husband was fine with me getting a horse, so I asked how much he cost. I don't remember exactly how much it was, but around $4,000. My husband was not cool with me spending that much for my first horse. So I was terribly sad, but ended up not getting him. Several months later I found my mare who is incredibly special and perfect for me, even better than the gelding would have been. I also heard several years later that the gelding had died suddenly of colic, even though he'd had good care. He was only 9. So in hindsight I was very glad I hadn't bought him, since it would have been worse if I'd owned him for several years only to lose him like that.

HairyCob 01-28-2011 03:53 AM

Sometimes these things happen for a reason, and I'm sure the right one will come along for you when the times right. I know it can be frustrating but you hot to just hang in there and wait and I'm sure the right one will come along. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Caitlinpalomino 01-28-2011 04:24 AM

I do believe the saying everything happens for a reason!!!

when we were looking for a horse to buy for my dad we found one that sounded really good and we were going to buy him but it turns out that he got sold to someone else i was so upset ecause we thought he would be perfect....anyway about a month later we found a horse that was closer and sounded good so we ended up buying him and he is thhe bbest horse ever!!!

So don't be to upset it obviously wasn't meant to be with this mare!!

DWStables 01-28-2011 08:00 AM

Uhm...I would never never spend 10,000.00 on a horse unless it cleaned its own stall fed itself and tacked up and groomed himself also with the economy the way it is ,i wouldnt worry to much about her selling that one to terribly soon.I empathize with you,it sucks to get all attached then have someone sell your leased friend.Best of luck and chin up girl!!!

xXEquestrianBalletXx 01-28-2011 08:29 AM

You could try and make payments. That's what a girls parents did at the barn I board at. That horse was also 10,000 dollars.

rottenweiler 01-28-2011 07:10 PM

That's what I did with my last horse. He was $1500 and the woman let me pay $500 a month until he was paid off. I also had to pay his regular care during that time so board and farrier plus little extra's here and there. It was tough scraping ends together to pay nearly $1000 a month for those three months. The place where this mare is at now, where I take lessons, board is $800 a month so there's absolutely NO WAY I could make any kind of reasonable payments and make ends meet. In any case, I know she's not the RIGHT horse for me...I just really want my own horse, again. Truth be told, I don't think she's worth $10,000....but hey, what do I know about horses? She's small, more suited to younger riders. She's appendix, I do believe. She's got quite a bit of Arab in her, you can tell by looking at her face. One day I will find MY horse

natisha 01-28-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottenweiler (Post 908017)
That's what I did with my last horse. He was $1500 and the woman let me pay $500 a month until he was paid off. I also had to pay his regular care during that time so board and farrier plus little extra's here and there. It was tough scraping ends together to pay nearly $1000 a month for those three months. The place where this mare is at now, where I take lessons, board is $800 a month so there's absolutely NO WAY I could make any kind of reasonable payments and make ends meet. In any case, I know she's not the RIGHT horse for me...I just really want my own horse, again. Truth be told, I don't think she's worth $10,000....but hey, what do I know about horses? She's small, more suited to younger riders. She's appendix, I do believe. She's got quite a bit of Arab in her, you can tell by looking at her face. One day I will find MY horse

Appendix is QH & TB. Is that what you meant?

trailhorserider 01-28-2011 08:32 PM

Don't despair, the right horse will come along. :-)

I had a similar scenario. I wanted a gaited horse because I really enjoyed riding my friend's, and he was a lot of fun and I wanted him really bad. But he wasn't for sale. And one day was riding with some other folks with Foxtrotters, and their horses were really nice, so I struck up a conversation, asking where they got them, etc. And finally I asked what they thought I could get one for.

The lady hesitated, and her husband blurted out $5000. Well, the most I had ever paid for a horse was $2000, and my current budget wasn't any better. So I was in despair of ever owning anything gaited. They were just too darn expensive were I live. I actually went home and cried over it.

Then, several months later, the same folks called my friend, and told them they heard about a Foxtrotter mare for sale for $500. So I went and rode her and bought her. It's like it was meant to be! Plus, she gave me my first-ever foal, which is something I always dreamed of, but dared not ever pursue. So it was just like it was meant for me to find her and bring her home. I actually had a great ride on her today! :D

Hunterjumper7654 01-28-2011 08:36 PM

I know the feeling there is an absolutely gorgeous jumper at my barn that is for lease, well my mom has been looking into horse's for me to lease so she asked my trainer about him and his lease price. I just about died they want 40,000 a year to lease him.
And that doesn't include board, training, vetting and shoeing.