The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Bolting after Jumps?? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/bolting-after-jumps-77063/)

Caitlinpalomino 01-28-2011 07:58 AM

Bolting after Jumps??

I am just starting to learn to jump and i have a problem with my mare going into a really fast canter after a jump the other day i fell off because of it!! So what would usually happen is i will have to try really hard to control her over the jump (because she always trys really hard to avoid the jump) then afterward she will go off at a really fast canter that completley throws me off balance i try to pull her up as much as i can but i havn't been lately!! Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can stop this????

sorry if i didn't explain it very well!!

Chiilaa 01-28-2011 08:02 AM

It is surprisingly really common for them to do this. You have to teach her that jumping is not about fast, it's about taking her time and getting it right. The mare I ride tends to rush up to a jump, so I usually approach in a walk and trot the last two or three strides. This way, she learns to come in slow. I think this is a great exercise for any horse, especially those prone to rushing before or after.

In terms of the rush afterwards, my instructor always gets us to jump, and if the horse starts to rush, stop them and back up, then walk away from the jump. If needs be, use a one rein stop, but make sure you include the backing up. Make it hard work if she decides to rush off, and sooner or later she will go slower.

Caitlinpalomino 01-28-2011 08:17 AM

ok thankyou it is funny though because my mare usually is very steady towards a jump and then she just rushes off afterwards!!! In terms of backing up though i think that that is a great idea only problem my mare is really bad at backing up (she was a race horse which they didn't train her to back up and then i don't think she was very well re-educated after that) so i will have to work on it!!!

Chiilaa 01-28-2011 08:21 AM

Definitely something to work on. Don't forget, just because you are jumping, doesn't mean you can't train flatwork too. Why not incorporate backing up into your normal jumping session? Not just after jumps, but use it to keep her calm. I bet that she is really enjoying it, so gets a bit fizzy because she wants to get faster and faster. Working on something mundane like backing between jumps will help settle her back down :)

Caitlinpalomino 01-28-2011 08:44 AM

^^^^alright thankyou very much for that Chiilaa i will work on that tommorow!!

Silverada 01-28-2011 08:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
can you upload any photos or video?
Seems like both you and your mare are afraid of the obstacle, so in the first place, she tries to avoid it, and then, she is running away from it.
* I don't mean it in a bad way the "afraid". Just that it worries you - maybe.

Since you are now starting to learn to jump, I would suggest to avoid pulling her. It's not sure it's her fault, so do not "punish" her mouth.

Also, if you cannot avoid the speedy-gonzales canter try

APPROACHING
1.Try doing 1-2 circles before jumping the obstacle, in trot. Canter should not be an approaching option for any of you two yet.
2. Add 2 trotting poles. Approaching in trot might confuse you or her about when to take off.

JUMPING
1. do not give front your hands. Obviously the obstacle is not that big yet, so don't ease your contact.

AFTER LANDING

1. stay off the saddle, but with as straight back as possible, if you feel that her movement gets you off balance.
2. let her have her 2-3 canter strides and then
3. force her into a circle.
4. keep in the circle as long as it take her to slow down. Keep a medium size of a circle, not too small, or else she ll get off balance, if she is in speed, not too large, or else she won't have reason to slow down.
5. If you want, you can use two short-stride canter poles after the jump, so she ll need to be carefull where to step, instead of just "running away the evil wooden thing" ^_^

PREPARING FOR THE APPROACHING
1. Trot back to your obstacle, but don't let her rush. Jumping itself is not the exercise, it's approaching and leaving it, and she should understand that.
2. Play with your reins. Not too hard, just to keep her focused on something else.
3. Be carefull at the corners, it's the best place for a horse to speed up. If she does, try a circle in slow sitting trot.

As other members have stated many times, jumping needs lot of flat work, so in this way, you combine both.

Good luck :wink:

xxBarry Godden 01-28-2011 09:09 AM

A young lady last year helped me to exercise my horse. Often she would take the mare into the arena for jumping. I had no objection because my horse jumps well naturally.

But one day I watched her ride my horse and noticed she had fitted a very fierce bit which she had not asked me about. Her reasoning (and her mother's) was that my horse was running away with her. The horse was galloping around a very small arena at full tilt. It was a dangerous situation not only for the rider but also the horse.
But the answer was not extra tie downs or a fiercer bit.

I said I was not happy about the bit, because my horse is essentially a dressage horse not a show jumper. She is normally ridden on a very mild snaffle. But the rider did have a real problem. So I called in an instructor.

The answer suggested was that more flatwork needed to be done in the arena. The horse had to learn to jump from a collected canter and what's more the rider had to learn to sit into it. The speed of the horse must be under the rider's control at all times.

The horse should canter round to the jump and then before take off the rider would release her neck and immediately upon landing should take up contact again and hold the horse back from speeding up into gallop.

My horse will carry herself at all paces on the the bit, if asked to do so.

Sadly the young slight lady rider would not accept our way of thinking and as a result she ceased to ride my horse.

If we do jump my horse again in the future, the training will start in the arena, on poles laid on the ground, then with low jumps, perhaps cavaletti, taken from the walk, with slightly higher jumps from the trot and eventually from the slow canter.

It is not likely that I shall ask her to jump against the clock or over very high jumps. By breeding she is a fox hunter and that calls for jumping over hedges, ditches and gates but I worry too much about damage to her legs should she fall.

But we shall see.

MIEventer 01-28-2011 10:17 AM

Have you elminated pain? How are your horses teeth? Your horses back? Does your saddle properly fit? Have you had your saddle assessed by a Professional to ensure proper fit? Could it be your seat? Are you too heavy with your seat on a sensative back?

These are all "could Be's" that need to be eliminated first - before putting all blame on the horse.

Strange 01-28-2011 11:05 PM

Please, please do not try to "control" your horse over the jump. I'm assuming from your implications that you're pulling back on her or doing something similar in the air. This is basically going to do the exact opposite of what you want. The more you get tense and heavy handed with her the more she's going to want to run and run and get on the forehand and run some more. SOFTEN over the jump and on the landing, then LIGHTLY give a half halt (not just with your hands!) and if you don't get a response have her halt IMMEDIATELY. Don't let her go careening out of control around the arena. She needs to respect your aids, not run through them.

If you continue to have problems after you've successfully been softening and relaxing as you ride then return to flatwork and DO NOT continue jumping until you have established a good half halt and established her working ON THE AIDS consistently, not sometimes. She should always be listening to you, regardless of how excited she is.

Caitlinpalomino 01-28-2011 11:22 PM

thankyou very much for your advice everyone!! and sorry silverada i don't have any photos or videos aybe in a couple of days!!