The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   A Little Bit Of Everything? Hind Ends and Flying Changes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/little-bit-everything-hind-ends-flying-77081/)

stormyweather101 01-28-2011 11:19 AM

A Little Bit Of Everything? Hind Ends and Flying Changes

Okay, so my bestfriend is unable to get to the barn alot to ride her horse. She lets me ride him free of charge and he's a great little boy. I'm going to be showing in childrens (2'6'' or so)but I want to make sure that we can go into it with a chance of winning.

I only have a few things to ask:
He goes on the forehand alot, which isn't helping him balance what so ever so I've been trying to get him on his hind end more. What are some ways I can do this? (If anyone is planning on saying draw reins or side reins don't bother posting lol)

Second:
I've been working on lead chnges with him too (but im not gonna ask for the flying one until he is on his hind end and balanced^) so once we get to that milestone, how should i teach him that he needs to do them? I know how to ask for them, just not train them.

Third:
Gridwork gridwork gridwork! He has hanging knees which can get dangerous when we get back into the heavy duty jumping in the spring(or whenever the heck it gets warmer!) so do you guys have any gridwork exercises that work well for you? The tighter the knees the better!

Fourth:
HE IS LAZY. He doesnt seem to really get interested in anything as long as it is under 2'6''. Since it's the winter, that's all we've been going to spare their joints. Is there any way to get him interested in being ridden. When we do poles or anything he pays no attention to them and just storms through(it's quite the scene(: ) I don't want him to thing that riding is a horrible thing that he is tortured with almost every day.

Thanks!
Allie

raywonk 01-28-2011 12:53 PM

roll backs will get him using his but. also ride a square. push the sholders around to make a 90% turn at all three gaits. these are good excersizes for getting them on the hunches.

stormyweather101 01-31-2011 02:46 PM

bumppp

wheeler4x4 02-01-2011 12:28 AM

Lots of transitions are good for working them into their rear end. Keeping them on their toes and waiting for your next cue, so unexpected transitions down to walk. Obviously if you just let them lean into it and dont do it correctly it does nothing. You really have to bring them into the walk driving from the hind end still.

As for lead changes, I would suggest putting a pole down in the middle of the ring where you ask for the changes, and ask over the pole. It is similar to jumps where they are already in the air so its easier for them to figure out to switch leads.

As for the gridwork I dont know too much, I am more of a dressage person myself, however for the laziness again maybe try changing things up, throwing unexpected things in there like a new jump or jumping at an angle. Just an idea

Snookeys 02-01-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raywonk (Post 907589)
roll backs will get him using his but. also ride a square. push the sholders around to make a 90% turn at all three gaits. these are good excersizes for getting them on the hunches.

This is interesting - could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by riding a square and doing 90% turns?

justinebee 02-01-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snookeys (Post 912007)
This is interesting - could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by riding a square and doing 90% turns?

i think she means 90 degree, not 90 percent :P

Snookeys 02-01-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinebee (Post 912038)
i think she means 90 degree, not 90 percent :P

HAHA Okay, that makes much more sense. Thanks ;)

stormyweather101 02-01-2011 11:04 AM

thanks! i tried the pole once and he got it! but that was mostly because he didnt pick up his feet and tripped over it... but hes getting better! and he tends to lean on the bit alot, i can feel it sometimes but other times not so mmuch. whats a good way to tell if he is face deep in the bit?

wheeler4x4 02-02-2011 02:04 PM

For making him carry himself you just have to do some tug and release. when you are trotting him and he is leaning forward into the bit, do a little half halt and then release (maybe even completely release at first) and he may stumble a little bit at first, but eventually he should learn to be ready and catch himself, which will slowly teach him to carry himself on his own.

stormyweather101 02-03-2011 03:12 PM

bumppp