The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Tailoring a Hunt Coat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/tailoring-hunt-coat-77141/)

RidingTowardsGrace 01-29-2011 01:06 AM

Tailoring a Hunt Coat?

The Hunt coat I have right now is of excellent quality, as well as the colors I like. We also got it for an awesome price! The only problem? It's HUGE on me. It didn't seem huge until the show came around and we had to tie my number around my waist. And what do you know, it needs to be a good few inches smaller in the waist as well as shoulders. I look like I'm being swallowed by my jacket :/ not only does it look bad and unprofessional, I felt overwhelmed and as if my movements were being a little bit confined. Anyways, my point is, is it possible to tailor a hunt coat? The length is fine, it's just the waist and shoulders that need to be tailored. I'll see if I can post pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance! I really need to get it done as showing starts back up in a month or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Angel_Leaguer 01-29-2011 06:51 AM

A good tailor should be able to help you out. :-)

upnover 01-29-2011 10:59 AM

You can definitely get a hunt coat tailored. in fact, I often tell my students (who are showing at a higher level) to get theirs tailored to give it a custom look if it doesn't already. What would concern me though is that it's huge in the shoulder too. It'll be much harder to look right if it's several sizes too big. But, a good tailor can work magic!

maura 01-29-2011 01:42 PM

The shoulders can be dealt with by a good tailor, but it means taking off the sleeves and resetting them, which is labor intensive which = more expensive. The waist part is easy, that's just taking in the side seam. Get a price from the tailor on doing both, and then make a decision about whether it's worth doing. If you otherwise like the coat, and the price for the tailoring is $75. or less, I'd say go for it. Almost any coat will need adjustments to the sleeve length or waist, and a properly tailored coat adds a lot of polish to your presentation.

~*~anebel~*~ 02-02-2011 09:53 AM

That's what I've always done. I figure a custom coat is at least $400, and if I can get one for $100 and even putting $150 in tailoring into it, it's still cheaper and looks custom.

RidingTowardsGrace 02-02-2011 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone! I went to the local alterrations shop and got my coat looked at and they pinned all the places they will be taking in. Not only are they excellent, they're also cheap! $20 for a full coat being tailored by quite a few inches in the waist as well as shoulders and they said it will be ready in a full week! Bah I'm so happy now. it will fit so much nicer now!
Posted via Mobile Device