The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Possibly Boulonnais/Boulonnais Cross Gelding -- What Do You Think? (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/possibly-boulonnais-boulonnais-cross-gelding-what-77182/)

Tripleguess 01-29-2011 02:40 PM

Possibly Boulonnais/Boulonnais Cross Gelding -- What Do You Think?

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

My family owns a beautiful 18.2 hh draft gelding who was sold to us as an unpapered Percheron cross.

Recently, though, I was flipping through a book of breeds and saw a photo of a Boulonnais. It looked so much like Big Jim (our gelding) that I did a web search and found the American Boulonnais website, among others. The descriptions match him so well, both in physique and temperament, except for the fact that he is larger than the breed average. For the record, he is sweet and gentle, but also quite bright, fast and agile. People assume he is "slow" in all senses of the word because of his size, but they change their minds when they see him run.

It seems there is no way for me to confirm that Big Jim is, in fact, a Boulonnais or Boulonnais cross, which is too bad. He is very much admired by everyone who sees him, and the third question after "Oh, he's so big!" and "Oh, he's so beautiful!" is always "What breed is he?"

However, I'd love to hear from anyone in the know, whether you think he is indeed a Boulonnais/Boulonnais cross.

We purchased him from Florida, so I thought it might just be possible that he came from the American Boulonnais Association's Georgia breeding farm. I emailed them, but the email address I got from their website doesn't work. My email bounced back.

Attached are a few of the better photos I have of him, in summer and winter coat. He does have some feathering on the back of his legs, but it is not heavy. His tail was already docked when we got him. :(

Either way, thanks for looking. =)

lilruffian 01-29-2011 02:45 PM

Pretty boy!
He could have Boulonnais in him but to me he looks like a Percheron. Boulonnais horses arent very common.

equiniphile 01-29-2011 03:39 PM

In he first pic especially, he looks a lot like my Perch cross mare Lenox. I think he's probably mostly Perch

sitbacnroc 01-30-2011 08:00 AM

He could have a little in him, but he looks a lot like a perch to me. I've got two and I have a friend with one and he greatly resembles them. Gorgeous boy though!!

Caitlinpalomino 01-30-2011 10:32 PM

wow he is gorgeous !!! and big ;)

ShutUpJoe 01-30-2011 10:34 PM

He's screaming Percheron. Such a beautiful boy! When can I come pick him up?

FeatheredFeet 01-30-2011 11:37 PM

How old is he? If older, I presume he's a grey who has turned white maybe? There are lots of grey/white Percherons about.

I saw two Percherons who sold at an auction a few years back, who looked identical to your lovely boy.

Lizzie

Tripleguess 01-30-2011 11:57 PM

Thank you everybody! I really appreciate your feedback. And the compliments. =) =)

I'm curious as to where the feathering came from if he's a Perch cross. I thought Percherons were clean legged... any theories?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 910748)
How old is he? If older, I presume he's a grey who has turned white maybe? There are lots of grey/white Percherons about.
Lizzie

He is probably about 15. We'll have had him for... um, four years this March. He had been turned out to pasture and pretty much neglected before we got him and needed work on his teeth and feet (we keep him trimmed and unshod). He is in much better shape now.

His winter coat is almost pure white but when he sheds out in summer he has a light gray dappled/marbled pattern. You can see this best in the very first picture, on his hindquarters.

I hope to get some better pictures this coming summer...

SidMit 01-31-2011 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a perch. Looks like your boy. They do have feathers. :)

Your boy is handsome!

Adenfire 01-31-2011 12:30 AM

I know a few Percherons that have feathering like that, I know that they shave their legs down to show. But from what I know feathering can be recessive, so if whatever crosses he's from had some feathering they he could possibly have it too. My friend's percheron (purebred) has feathering a HUGE amount all the away around his feet but he's from 2 non-feathered parents. So it can happen.