The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Loss of arm; riding with one arm (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/loss-arm%3B-riding-one-arm-77221/)

outnabout 01-29-2011 09:03 PM

Loss of arm; riding with one arm

Managed to break my right forearm and shatter wrist. Surgery Monday, week of painkiller lala land and some rehab ahead. Any of you ridden with use of only one arm? My mare is very laid back and neck reins. I want to walk and trot her but doubt that loping would be safe. Have friends that can ride her now but would like to ride again soon, maybe in a month or so. Anyone have suggestions for riding with one arm?

MIEventer 01-29-2011 09:42 PM

I'm so sorry about your injury :( That must be painful! I broke my wrist in 1/2 snowboarding once. Not fun! I had surgery and pins put in mine - but I've ridden with one hand - many Western Folk do it without an issue :)

I wish you well! And sending quick healing vibes!

outnabout 01-29-2011 09:53 PM

Thanks... I ride with one hand all the time as I ride western, but there is a difference when the other arm is just not available, and will probably be in some kind of cast. Wanted to try today but just have a splint until the surgery and my friend said no, wait till it is less painful. Think I just might try tomorrow. I feel like I have less control somehow...

Chiilaa 01-30-2011 01:19 AM

I wouldn't try it to be honest. A few weeks/months of not riding now is a lot better than potentially years if you damage it further. If in doubt, ask your doctor if they think that horseriding is ok. Follow their advice, they really do know what they are talking about.

tinyliny 01-30-2011 01:56 AM

So sorry to hear about your big owwie. I am with Chiilaa, I 'd wait , if it were me. Poor puppy!

Caitlinpalomino 01-30-2011 03:29 AM

i broke my arm 19 months ago and i rode with one arm!! i have also now spraied my wrist and am riding one and a half armed!!! hehehe :) get better soon!!!

also if you have to you could get someone to lead you.

AlexS 01-30-2011 03:41 AM

I would ride, but I would wait until a few weeks after the surgery, all you need now is a big sudden jar that would move everything.
And you can absolutely ride with one arm.

Heal up quick and all the best for the surgery.

HairyCob 01-30-2011 05:02 AM

Let it rest for a while after surgery so it has time to stregthen and heal. You don't want to go making it worse, that's the last thing you need!

Hope your arm heals quickly!
Posted via Mobile Device

faye 01-30-2011 05:14 AM

Erm I rode at a show with my wrist in a cast! Just put a big glove on and my jacket over the top and no one was any the wiser.
This was riding english and luckily I had a pony who would go entirely from seat and leg aids. Thus I only had to hold the reins with the broken side not do anything else! Won my class as well!

outnabout 01-30-2011 10:16 PM

Thanks everybody for your opinions and healing thoughts. It really has helped me think things through. The idea of more pain is what is making me hesitate. I will wait a month or so after surgery and when I am very comfortable with the cast will see how I feel about riding then. If I still have doubts I'll just wait it out.