The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   wither relief underpad (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/wither-relief-underpad-77236/)

azhorseluvr1222 01-29-2011 11:34 PM

wither relief underpad

Hey all I was just wondering if you know where I could find one. The trainer I have been talking with said I need this since my guy has mile high withers and is dished out behind them. We have been working on building up his muscles but I think we will still have a saddle fit problem. It fits him in the bar area just the gullet isn't high enough. I bought the saddle specifically because the gullet was so high and straight. She wants me to use this pad, It is grey with a wither cut out and ventilation holes down the back and is slightly smaller than a western cut pad as it is supposed to go under....I guess. Then on top I am supposed to have a cut back built up pad, which I have found. The whole idea is to pull the saddle up off his withers and fill in behind them.....of course you guys probably already knew that :wink:. She has one but doesn't remember where she got it. Any suggestions or any tips on what else works in this situation if I can't find the pad? Thanks for reading my incredibly long post!

tinyliny 01-30-2011 03:17 AM

Are you talking an English pad or a western pad?

AlexS 01-30-2011 03:38 AM

They are called risers.

For English:
Dover Saddlery | Roma Wither Relief Lift Front Pad .

They exist for Western riding too, but I can't find any from a google search and I am not too familiar with stores that sell Western stuff.

azhorseluvr1222 01-30-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 909623)
Are you talking an English pad or a western pad?

western, sorry should have mentioned that.

Fifty 01-30-2011 12:22 PM

Here you go :) Saddle Pad Riser - Smith Brothers

NorthernMama 01-30-2011 12:34 PM

I have a standardbred with pronounced whithers. I was going to go saddle shopping this year for her, but am concerned about putting out money when her back may develop more yet. (She is about 7 yrs old, but hopefully will be ridden more frequently this summer and hopefully this will help build up her back.)

I never heard of these "risers." Are they an OK interim fix or are we still just ignoring the fact that the saddle doesn't fit properly?

azhorseluvr1222 01-30-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 909945)
I have a standardbred with pronounced whithers. I was going to go saddle shopping this year for her, but am concerned about putting out money when her back may develop more yet. (She is about 7 yrs old, but hopefully will be ridden more frequently this summer and hopefully this will help build up her back.)

I never heard of these "risers." Are they an OK interim fix or are we still just ignoring the fact that the saddle doesn't fit properly?

I was concerned about the same thing with building up the back. I had a lady put a Bob Marshall sport saddle on him padless and it fit really well but unfortunately I can't afford one just yet but I am looking online for a used one.

azhorseluvr1222 01-30-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fifty (Post 909936)

Thanks but the pad I am speaking of runs the whole length of the pad and is grey.