The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Grand Prix.. Any tips?! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/grand-prix-any-tips-77242/)

justjump 01-30-2011 01:24 AM

Grand Prix.. Any tips?!

I'm going to do the grand prix level 0, 1, and 2 at the next hunter show I go to, which will be in a couple weeks. Any tips? I've done the level 0 and level 1 and won both times I went in. My horse seems to love the colorful fences, hills, bigger arena etc. But does anyone have any newbie tips?

My goal this year is to make it back in the AQHYA Jumpers at the youth World this year.. Last year I got 8 faults with 3 time faults, and the year before I fell off due to my complete nervousness and bad positioning (first year.. ugh.) But recently, my horse has been feeling great, jumping better, and more willing to go forward when I ask him to, so I feel like this goal is a little more reasonable now! We won the Congress in the youth jumping this year.. Probably the best moment of my life!

I feel like my horse could be great at the jumpers/grand prix, so I feel like I should ask for some tips:D

I'll be sure to get someone to videotape my go so you can let me know what you think!

Thanks everyone(::-P

MIEventer 01-30-2011 01:37 AM

GP - as in, 5'0" GP?

justjump 01-30-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 909531)
GP - as in, 5'0" GP?

No no no no! No way! Like the level 0 which is I think 2'9? Level 1 is 3' and level 2 is 3'3.. I think. Wow, I don't think I would have the guts to jump that high..

Just the baby open hunter show stuff(:

LittleLoucifer 01-30-2011 01:49 AM

Grand Prix is THE Grand Prix. There is only one level. You might be thinking of "mini prix"s which are offered at each level.

justjump 01-30-2011 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleLoucifer (Post 909539)
Grand Prix is THE Grand Prix. There is only one level. You might be thinking of "mini prix"s which are offered at each level.

Yup thats it! I'm just saying what it says on the showbill..

This is the AQHA jumpers from 2009:
This girl also got 3rd in the equitation over fences, and was reserve world champion in the working hunter. She had a wonderful year!

xXEventerXx 01-30-2011 01:59 AM

This is all hunter/jumper right?

justjump 01-30-2011 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXEventerXx (Post 909548)
This is all hunter/jumper right?

The one I'm doing in a couple weeks is a schooling hunter show.. But I do AQHA hunters on a regular basis.

xXEventerXx 01-30-2011 02:02 AM

oo ok, i didnt think that was the grand prix jumpers lol way to small of jumps

justjump 01-30-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXEventerXx (Post 909552)
oo ok, i didnt think that was the grand prix jumpers lol way to small of jumps

Yeah I know, I don't think I'd have the guts to do the actual Grand Prix.. I'd probably have a nervous meltdown! :-P

xXEventerXx 01-30-2011 02:07 AM

lol i dont think i could do hunters though, grand prix jumpers is what im aiming for