The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Cant stop leaning forward while trotting! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/cant-stop-leaning-forward-while-trotting-77252/)

JamieLeighx 01-30-2011 08:39 AM

Cant stop leaning forward while trotting!

i cant stop leaning forward while trotting! I also keep being told to sit up but when i sit up i feel as if im being stuck up and that im sticking my boobs out lol . any tips or advice?
Posted via Mobile Device

raywonk 01-30-2011 11:42 AM

Take your hands the next time you are in sadle and sit on thim. Rotait your hips forwards and back words not your upper body. when you feel the two bones hit your hands your but is sitting back. I call it sitting on your pockets. If you are not sitting on your pockets it is hard to sit back with the rest of your body.
As for looking stuck up keep your nose down and you will not look stuck up you will look like a good horseman.

MIEventer 01-30-2011 11:45 AM

What are you doing with your lower leg when you are riding? Where are your feet? And are you gripping or pinching with your knee's?

Also, where is your hand position?

bsms 01-30-2011 02:59 PM

Two mistakes I've made, which may have nothing to do with your riding:

1 - Saddle fit. After much measuring and thinking, I decided my English saddle needed a med-wide gullet instead of a wide. I honestly can't SEE the change in saddle tilt, but I was amazed at how much different it felt. I spent a year working against my saddle. My horse was happier too!

2 - Elbows. Mine were too far forward. I think I did that because I was nervous and wanted to be ready to tighten the reins, but it pulled me forward. And the more nervous I would get, the farther I would tighten up the reins, the farther forward my arms, the more I became off balance and more nervous, etc.

I still lean forward at a trot, but not as bad as before. I'm a weird rider, so don't be surprised if it has nothing to do with your riding.

kitten_Val 01-30-2011 03:15 PM

Jamie, is your saddle balanced? If you have saddle, which is not, you'll be all over the place (including leaning forward).

AlexS 01-30-2011 03:31 PM

trotting without stirrups will help.

upnover 01-30-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 909831)
What are you doing with your lower leg when you are riding? Where are your feet? And are you gripping or pinching with your knee's?

Also, where is your hand position?

That's my first thought too. Your lower leg is your FOUNDATION! You have no real balance or security without a good lower leg. Your heel should be directly under your hip. Your leg should have equal contact through your thigh/knee/calf (not more pressure in one of those three areas). Make sure the INSIDE of your leg is what has contact with your horse's side, not the back. Start with a good leg first, and other parts of your position/balance will come.

Gem97 02-06-2011 02:35 PM

this may sound weird but i heard if you have a small plank of wood attached to your back that you are suppose to sit up straight, it also helps with your dressage posture :)

Pilot 02-16-2011 02:09 PM

Sit on your butt bones. Do not have your shoulders slunched over. Think of riding like roalty with your shoulders in a strait line with your neck. Keep your head level. Looking down really throws you forward. Strait back(this will come with sitting on your seat bones).

Cinder 02-19-2011 09:38 PM

I have the same problem and my instructor says it's because my hands are too far forward. I would work on your hand position. You may want to consider leg position, too, as I believe this may be a contributing factor.