The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Hay quality, testing, truth vs feelings (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/hay-quality-testing-truth-vs-feelings-77362/)

Production Acres 01-31-2011 03:11 PM

Hay quality, testing, truth vs feelings

3 Attachment(s)
Tell me what you think of this hay based upon its appearance. It is mold free, smells good, overall it is good and green, and the texture is nice.

TheLovedOne 01-31-2011 03:30 PM

I can't really tell but if it's mold free and smells good I'm sure it's fine. Then if the horses eat it we know it's palatable. What is it timothy/orchard grass? Of course a test will probably give you more info about protein and other nutrients and sugar.

Are you a hay farmer?

Production Acres 01-31-2011 03:37 PM

Its identity for now is just non-fescue grass hay. I have a test on the hay - but how do you think it would test based upon appearance. What are your "Feelings" about this hay?

We grow about 1600 acres hay that we cut 2-4 times yearly. We also buy and sell a lot of hay.

TheLovedOne 01-31-2011 04:58 PM

My feelings... ah yes horse people are that way. My husband and I make our own hay so I don't have too many feelings about it except that it's a lot of work! :-)

TheLovedOne 01-31-2011 04:59 PM

I would take another photo with something else in it like a saddle so you can see it a little further away.

loosie 01-31-2011 10:52 PM

Can't tell from those pics, sorry. But you said it's nice & green, smells good, etc, so probably good quality.

Peggysue 02-01-2011 02:29 PM

it's probably eatably and mid quality.

But see I knwo that good looking hay doesn't always test as well as it looks and that yucky hay may test wonderful :)

Looks can be decieving

CCH 02-02-2011 12:06 AM

It looks to be a pure grass type hay, so it won't test as high as a legume or legume mix hay. I'd say an rfv no more than 115 and a protein of around 14%. Doesn't look all that green from the photos though. The stems look a little finer than most 1st cuttings, so I'm going to guess 2nd cutting. Can't make any guesses as to moisture content though.

Production Acres 02-02-2011 08:07 AM

This is some nice prairie grass hay - mostly little bluestem.

My guess as to what this hay would test was about 9% protein and a rfv of 90-100.

Hay tested 5.9% protein and 78 rfv 8.5% moisture.

Interestingly, this is a very nice low sugar hay for all the insulin resistant horses out there. 1.8 starch 8.6 wsc

Left Hand Percherons 02-06-2011 01:04 PM

The appearance of the hay is at a disadvantage because it's put up in large squares first off. The hay has to have a lower moisture content to be baled properly so it's going to be down longer and subject to more bleaching. It also a variety of grass that most people don't feed or have ever seen. The leaves are red/brown so the hay is perceived has over mature or over cured when it's actually put up just right. It is a prairie grass (non irrigated) but it tested out lower than I would of expected.

If the price was right, I'd buy it without blinking an eye. I would make the analysis available and offer advise on what to supplement with to make it work. Most horseowners overfeed their animals and will reject it because it's not that bright Timothy green but that's nothing we can change. You can definitely market it as hay for an IR horse.