The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Gypsy Vanner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/gypsy-vanner-77413/)

GreenTreeFrog 02-01-2011 02:26 AM

Gypsy Vanner

I have recently discovered this breed and have fallen head over heels in LOVE!

Such stunning animals. I must have one. :lol:

Anyone here have or had one? Any good tips on what to look for in one?

I am in Syd, Aus so not sure how popular they are over here yet. I have found one breeder about 30 minutes from me.

Thanks for any info!

Kayty 02-01-2011 02:48 AM

Well being a fellow Aussie, I can tell you that if you want a well bred, quality GV, you'll be paying a bucket load for it even as a weanling.
They are not overly common/popular here as yet, and most are still imports or directly related to imports, therefore breeders are having to charge and arm and a leg for the foals to recoup their costs.

HairyCob 02-01-2011 05:59 AM

We had ours for around 8 years. We bought her when gypsy cobs ( as they are called here in England ) were not popular. Recently though over here their prices have sky rocketed, becomming very popular and in demand.

Old saying is when buying a gypsy cob you must look for plently of feather and bone. Short backs and strong shoulders!

We had a piebald named Charlie, and to this day she is my
favorite horse we have ever owned. She had a beautiful placid temprement, and she was just gorgeous. You could groom her for hours and she would just look stunning, brilliant ling silky mane and fluffy White feathers.

They are beautiful horses to own.
Posted via Mobile Device

FeatheredFeet 02-01-2011 12:53 PM

You might like to join our forum....

The Gypsy Horse Group :: Index

You will meet up with hundreds of Gypsy Horse owners, from the world over. We have several members from Australia and NZ.

Gypsies are extremely popular in the US and one of our members has just been cleared to send semen of her beautiful stallion, to Australia and NZ.

Gypsies have been popular in European countries for many years now. In the US for the last 14 years or so.

Just know that Gypsy Horses can only be called 'Vanners' if they are registered with the Vanner Registry. The majority of us do not call them Vanners. That was a name 'coined' by one of the first people in the US who imported them. Mostly they are called Gypsy Cobs or Gypsy Horses. In European countries, they are called 'Tinkers'.

Not as many in Australia as in other countries yet, but more and more really nice ones are being sent there.

Lizzie

mistygirl 02-01-2011 01:06 PM

very cool i love gypsy vanners thats my dream horse someday.

xxBarry Godden 02-01-2011 03:12 PM

Murphy the Irish Tinker

2 Attachment(s)
Gypsy 'Vanners' are hairy coloured horses, and the horse I have shown below was/is named 'Murphy'. He took me fox hunting up in the mountains of Wales and along the ridges over the winter months of 2003/4. He was a very capable sure footed sturdy cob - his colour was incidental.

Once I sat outside a pub for lunch drinking a glass of wine and eating a egg and salad creme sandwich. There was no hitching post so I had to eat with one hand and at the same time hold 'Murph' by the reins in the left hand. For a while he stood patiently behind the bench looking over my shoulder, then all of a sudden he made a lunge for the sandwich and with one bite it was gone. I never knew before then that horses liked sandwiches.

I have never doubted that gypsies have good taste when it comes to horses. If Murphy was a typical example of his breed, then they certainly do. Murphy was never mine, but I enjoyed his company immensely whilst I was looking after him.

FeatheredFeet 02-01-2011 04:23 PM

Thank you for your pictures Barry. Loved the Gypsy. Looked like a really nice boy. There are several very big Gypsy Horse breeders in Wales.

And thank you for the Monmouth pic. Almost all my family still live there. Makes me very homesick.

Lizzie

xxBarry Godden 02-01-2011 06:48 PM

Lizzie - I assure you it still all looks the same and on the right horse, the riding is magnificent.

FeatheredFeet 02-01-2011 08:26 PM

I'm so glad to hear that Barry. Most of my family and indeed ancestors, lived or are buried, in Bedwellty.

In the late 1800's and early 1900's, my grandfather bred Welsh Cobs, in the area. Just a few years ago, a lady sent me an old oil painting, of my grandfather's most famous stallion. I was thrilled to have received it.

Sometimes, if I concentrate, I can still 'smell' Wales. Strange isn't it.

Living in the desert of S. California, I SO miss damp green fields and seeing sheep grazing on the hillsides.

Lizzie

GreenTreeFrog 02-01-2011 08:41 PM

Kayty - I will have to keep an eye out and wait for the right opportunity to come along. Where in Aus are you?

HC - Thanks for the advice and Charlie sounds gorgeous!

Lizzie - love your username! And thanks for the link and the naming conventions. I have joined. See you there!

Barry - gorgeous horse, stunning scenery and hilarious story! My TB chased my 4yo down the other day for her peanut butter sandwich!

**** you all, you have just made me want one even MORE.