The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Appaloosa grooming tips? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/appaloosa-grooming-tips-77414/)

MagicDestiny 02-01-2011 01:36 AM

Appaloosa grooming tips?

Hi there! I was hoping to get some input on how to prepare an appy for a horse show. My sister and I are co-leaders for a 4H club in our area, and we thought it would be a good idea for our members to learn how to groom and prepare their horses based upon breed specifications for horse shows! We have a few arabians in our club, and since that is the breed we've shown, we're pretty well-versed with how they should look for showmanship, but what about appys? How far back do their bridle paths need to be clipped? Is hoof black allowed for hooves or is only hoof clear acceptable? Do they wear highlighters or grease on their faces? And do they clip their faces like arabians do? Sorry for all the questions, but we're just curious! We thought it would be a good learning experience for the kids to learn how to properly prepare their horses according to their perspective breed standards. Thanks a lot! I really appreciate any help! :-)

PintoTess 02-01-2011 04:54 AM

Hmmm, this is very interesting. I have no idea about the bridle path ect, but I am pretty sure that they are not allowed to have hood black as it would cover up the striped hooves. As it is a breed characteristic, I think that the judge would want to see the stripeing on the hooves.

Good luck!!

Alwaysbehind 02-01-2011 08:11 AM

Appys are prepped the same way pretty much any stock breed is.

Except the hoof black. Pinto is correct, no hoof black. It is not allowed. Clear covering only.

I have not done an appy show in ages so maybe someone who has done one more recently can clarify. Add that my appy has a very sparse mane. I never made a bridle path at all. If I was it would be very minimal. Most certainly not the crazy long thing that you do for an Arabian.

Yes, the face and ears are clipped clean.

MagicDestiny 02-01-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I really do appreciate it. That's what I thought about the hoof clear, but I wasn't sure. And I'm assuming an appropriate bridle path with be about an ear's length, correct? I think that's what they do for other stock breeds. Anyway thanks for clearing that up for me! We're having a meeting soon, so we'll go over grooming and how to present your horse. :)

Alwaysbehind 02-01-2011 03:00 PM

No more than ears length. I would say a little less if possible.

SamIam4101 02-01-2011 03:21 PM

I am curious to see if anyone else has any tips on grooming

Tejas 02-02-2011 07:54 PM

Im also curious! My boy needs some help with his sad mane. Im thinking of roaching it. :)

MagicDestiny 02-02-2011 09:12 PM

Yeah, I hear you can either roach it or band it like any other stock breed. So yeah, I'm not too knowledgeable on apps so if anyone has more tips on how to get them to really shine and stand out that would be great! :)