The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Micklem Bridle..Legal in HUS? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/micklem-bridle-legal-hus-77439/)

RansomTB 02-01-2011 11:02 AM

Micklem Bridle..Legal in HUS?

I have been showing HUS for the past few years, and this year is the first full show season with my young horse, so I am thinking of getting him this bridle, and was wondering 1. if anyone has used one and 2. if it is legal in HUS. As far as I have read, the HUS standards have a dropped noseband requirement, with no flash or figure 8 for flat classes. Since I havent started to jump my boy yet, I will not be doing over fences, so I am strictly asking in regards to flat classes.

This bridle is said (by the manufacturers) to have a built in drop noseband, but it looks kind of funny as the noseband on the bottom goes in front of the bit more like a flash.

Any input would be great, I have emailed the Show coordinator, but I am not sure if this is something that she would decide or if I would have to get it approved with the judge before the show, deeming it to be legal.

Here is the Micklem Competition bridle: Dover Saddlery | Micklem Competition Bridle Trial.

Thanks!

countercanter 05-25-2011 02:29 PM

Im almost 100% sure that according to USEF rules those aren't allowed in hunter classes run under USEF guidlines.

My Beau 05-25-2011 08:00 PM

I don't know for sure, but my gut says "no". HUS calls for traditional, functional tack.

Katze 05-25-2011 08:40 PM

omg that bridle looks horrid...the throatlatch looks waaaaaaay too tight!

Southern 05-25-2011 09:46 PM

I agree with Katze. Its just plane cruel looking. Its just not worth it for that amount of money.

Southern 05-25-2011 09:56 PM

IT'S SIMPLE - LET'S REDESIGN THE HORSE'S HEAD - Barnmice Equestrian Social Community ~ The micklem bridle was ORIGINALLY suppose to be a bit less bridle. But we have some how converted it into a bridle with a bit, putting more pressure on the bit, throuat latch and nose band.

VelvetsAB 05-25-2011 10:09 PM

I do not get how it is cruel Southern. Did you read the article you posted? It was designed to TAKE AWAY pressure from the usual spots on the horses face.

And there really isn't a true throat latch on it, and it does not affect the horses windpipe at all, because it gaps in the middle in between the jaw bone.

To the OP...I would go through the rule books on this one to double check.

Southern 05-27-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 1046703)
I do not get how it is cruel Southern. Did you read the article you posted? It was designed to TAKE AWAY pressure from the usual spots on the horses face.

And there really isn't a true throat latch on it, and it does not affect the horses windpipe at all, because it gaps in the middle in between the jaw bone.

To the OP...I would go through the rule books on this one to double check.

I was talking about the one With the bit. It is originally suppose to be a bit less bridle. But of course, humans altered it to become a bridle with a bit.

bubba13 05-27-2011 12:23 PM

It was not supposed to be a bitless bridle. The inventor simply suggests that it could, theoretically, double as a bitless bridle. The whole shebang is designed to be much more comfortable and utilitarian than a normal bridle/noseband combo.

Southern 05-27-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1048045)
It was not supposed to be a bitless bridle. The inventor simply suggests that it could, theoretically, double as a bitless bridle. The whole shebang is designed to be much more comfortable and utilitarian than a normal bridle/noseband combo.

I actually think I have some other bridle mixed up with this one :lol: Sorry for the confusion . I ride with a western bridle , so I don't have to worry about a noseband :-|